For All Your CSS Server comments and requests

promotion of the community

PostRe: promotion of the community by RubberJonny

Something GTFO Gaming does is add anyone who plays on one of their servers to their group on Steam. Should look into it. Certainly made me check out what they are up to although i had no intention of joing their community.
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:26 pm «Top

PostRe: promotion of the community by Nickers

RubberJonny wrote:Something GTFO Gaming does is add anyone who plays on one of their servers to their group on Steam. Should look into it. Certainly made me check out what they are up to although i had no intention of joing their community.

Is that an automatic thing or is it something the admins do?! I think this could be a good idea, and a console message that comes up a bit more often would also be good.....
I have been a nerd since long before I could have heard
That bookish girls should look and act a certain way
And I'll still be a geek when I am utterly antique

Nickers

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:21 am «Top

PostRe: promotion of the community by Runner

yer I try to advertise though admin chat and add people to steam group when possible - i suggest all admins do the same :)
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:32 am «Top

PostRe: promotion of the community by Gweggles

Gweggles wrote:I started a long response, so here it is in short (it was longer).

I populate the server when I can. I haven't seen it populate otherwise. When I do join and invite people it does become active. Sparkeh's group of friend do help here. To try retain players I always say hello and send them an invite to join the steam group. I do this with CSS, I also invited everyone from the NBR steam group and most of the active players by using HLX Stats.

It would help if the others that wanted a TF2 server dived into the server to spark people joining. For people to have a good impression we need people to say hello when new players join. It also helps if more people become active on the forum.

There's a strategy that other communities employ to gain new members (and an active forum) that we have never done. But I believe it's something that Magic did when he started NBR. He welcomed new people, he also showed that he needed admins. Advertising that we require admins does a couple of things (correct me if you think otherwise). Players may feel that if there's a chance of becoming an admin, then there is something to work towards. i.e. A reason to join the server often, a reason to be active on the forum and a reason to a be a part of the community. Once NBR had established itself, it was more of a case of if you have a slot and you have been around for a while and you have been a part of the community then you were rewarded with admin, that is possibly what we have carried on.

This is the reason for the @TBC suggestion I have made. I would also make the suggestion of giving current and new members something to work towards (if that makes sense).

To illustrate this idea (again, correct me if I'm wrong) when Shanks first joined NBR he probably wanted to wear the tag (something to work towards). So he put effort into giving feedback and joining the server when it was empty. This was recognized and he was the first person to wear the tag that didn't buy a slot.

So to do this I would make a post and give members a clear idea of how they can progress to wearing @TBC or .:TBC:. and admin privileges.

I posted this in reply to a different topic, but thought it applied here too.
Gweggles

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:45 pm «Top