For Those Of You Hook Up To Franchises

PC Vs Consoles

PostPC Vs Consoles by Jasperman

So theres fans and favours going for both but I believe most of our community are sold PC gamers.

But why do you choose PC over console?
or
Why do you choose console over PC?

Jasperman wrote:
EchoZ wrote:
Gweggles wrote:How about you play PC. You Jeb.

Because football games other than football manager are utter fail on PC + I'm on laptop. :p thanks for the unhelpful comment though gweggy

Fraid I dont have a pass but I wish you good luck.

On the note of PC I do believe PC > Console.

What does console have that PC doesnt? In fact PC has more than Console :D
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

Raging Goblin wrote:He raged at the world,
at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Ireland
» Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:08 am «Top

PostRe: PC Vs Consoles by Chef

my beef with consoles are the fact you are limited to what the manufacture has put into the box, if something goes wrong and you are out of warranty you have very little options for repairing plus the level of graphics in the boxes are seriously behind PCs.

Plus as the games producers pander to the console market we are ham-stringed by games having to be designed for both platforms so are compromised artistically and controllability.

having said that some games are better suited to certain platforms. football games work better on console, RPG's RTS's and FPS all work far better on PC.
Chef
Dungeon Master

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:24 am «Top

PostRe: PC Vs Consoles by Reale

I own a ps3/360 and have a decent pc... the pc cost me over £2k and the consoles a few hundred each at the time... game producers dont pander to anyone -thats where the market is... fact. you have an install base of hundreds of millions compared to the pc enthusiast space and it is easier to make a game that is able to run on two platforms instead of making a game that has to run well on 1000's of variants. pc gamers are in the minority and with good reason, with so many different hardware skews its extremely difficult to get the same experience to everyone... consoles all though limited succeed because of it.

Look at id's RAGE - on console it didnt look as good and couldnt hold 60fps... I bought it on pc and had the best visually appealing experiences of my life but very few other people did at the time of launch as it was extremely buggy for most pc users (I was just lucky) and if you look on youtube, most of the people bought it for the 360... now even though the pc version in theory is the ultimate version its only dependant on your hardware - my friend bought it for pc and cant even run it... but if you own a 360 you know your experience (even though not the best it can be) will be virtually the same as who ever else bought it on 360.

the only issue I really have is with shit ports... looking back at Bioshock/resident evil4/oblivion to name a few. but in past years we have had some fantastic ports that have actually made for a better experience on pc.

thats not to say I favour the consoles, I personally favour the best experience of a given game... I am just fortunate to be in the position where I can choose where to play it.
Reale

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:40 pm «Top

PostRe: PC Vs Consoles by RubberJonny

You can use the Xbox 360 wired controller with the PC so better suited games isn't even an argument any more.

The sole reason to own a console now is affordability. For under £200 you get a games system that is also a media centre. Although the hardware limitation is an issue the software is continually updated, improved and added to.

I fully agree with Chef and often complain about it to my friends (about a 50/50 split of PC/Console) that even if we are lucky and don't get a direct port with shitty controls we often get a shitty looking game but with an option for anti-aliasing. That being said i'm in favour of this if it forces developers to build engines with improved visuals but lower demand. The PC culture of having to update every couple of years needs to be changed. Like education gaming should be accessible to all!
The Unreal Engine is a great example of this. It looks great and is playable on very low end cards.

I enjoy some of the Xbox 360 features and that the PS3 connects to the interwebz for free but i cannot abide the mock PC direction console have gone in. I'm a big fan of the Wii because it is the only console that is a console (although their latest move away from backwards compatibility is horse poop).

I'm looking forward to OUYA. It will change the console games industry and make it what it should be; accessible, affordable and fun.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:07 pm «Top

PostRe: PC Vs Consoles by Nickers

I agree that the Wii is the only console around at the moment that doesn't have delusions of grandeur, like most people I use my PC and the Wii for different games and I'll play them depending on my mood! the Wii is great for multiplayer in person drunken fun and also Lego games :D whereas the PC is great for FPS and strategy games where you need to get into umpteen billion menus!

RubberJonny wrote:I'm looking forward to OUYA. It will change the console games industry and make it what it should be; accessible, affordable and fun.

and any naysayers out there will be able to try it out at a future TBC meet :) we (well me but it's our money hehehe) pledged and have now funded for a console and two controllers :)
I have been a nerd since long before I could have heard
That bookish girls should look and act a certain way
And I'll still be a geek when I am utterly antique

Nickers

National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:14 pm «Top

PostRe: PC Vs Consoles by EchoZ

Considering I was at the start of this discussion I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. Basically I believe that some games are built for you to use a controller with rather than a mouse, and some a mouse rather than a controller. Majority of sports games & majority of racing games should be played on console IMO, where as pretty much all other types of games can/should be played on the PC. But I personally am a PC gamer.
It's all down to personal preference tbh, but if you're a true gamer you will love all forms of gaming and hate on none.

E^
EchoZ

» Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:47 pm «Top

PostRe: PC Vs Consoles by StuntKid

Consoles:-
One major pro for me is renting/lending games. Put the disc in console and it works. Next to no faffing about. Consoles cost a fraction of the price of a decent PC build. And there's something nice about having physical copy of games too.

Different consoles and exclusive games -most eventully get ported- annoy me quite a lot. Sometimes lack of backward compatibility with next gen consoles or they just become redundant. For the time being, console games look better than my rig :oops:

PC:-
Cheap games in steam sales, new games are generally cheaper than console counterpart on release, easier to organise online games + we get things like Mumble to make life easier. Ability to customise PC and we get our own servers, mods etc and able to bind keys and spray custom pics in game :lol: .

However, with everyone having different PC builds it can sometimes be a pain to install/run games properly. Pretty much impossible to resell/refund games once you buy it especially when it fails to run or if the game is utter.. :angry-cussingblack:
StuntKid

National Flag:
Pokemon Island
» Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:50 pm «Top

PostRe: PC Vs Consoles by Jasperman

EchoZ wrote:Considering I was at the start of this discussion I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. Basically I believe that some games are built for you to use a controller with rather than a mouse, and some a mouse rather than a controller

Well im kinda working backwards here but so on.

EchoZ the excuse of controller vs Keyboard+Mouse is a non issue. as RJ put it

RubberJonny wrote:You can use the Xbox 360 wired controller with the PC so better suited games isn't even an argument any more.

Chef wrote:my beef with consoles are the fact you are limited to what the manufacture has put into the box, if something goes wrong and you are out of warranty you have very little options for repairing plus the level of graphics in the boxes are seriously behind PCs.

This is also my beef! I like the customization, I like the extra software. and all that other stuff! + im a Software Engineer no keyboard and mouse feels weird!

As RJ mentions consoles have been moving closer to PC for ages now

So for me the reason i prefer PC over consoles is because PC has it all.

Controllers if thats what you want
Cusomization of hardware
Games and cheap games! (lets all admit it console games can be played on the pc too ;) )
Extra cool programs
And the list goes on!
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

Raging Goblin wrote:He raged at the world,
at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 am «Top