All Things From Left 4 Dead 2

L4D2 VS Game Bible

PostL4D2 VS Game Bible by Runner

Alright guys, I thought I would write a guide to playing L4D VS games, as interest is growing again in the game there are a number of new players who are inexperienced. I have been passing on a lot of advice in games so I thought I’d put it all down into text.

There are a great number of differences in VS games that campaign players don’t understand or appreciate – the tactics below are specific to VS game style (some do relate to the game in general) follow these tips to improve your game sense.

Playing As The Infected

Attack as a Team
Team work when playing as infected is as important as team play is for the survivors. One infected player on his own will never incap a survivor (unless the survivor & team are idiots). All the different characters are designed to support each other and each have their strengths and weakness that make them very in effective as part of a group attack but ineffective on their own. The Two most important characters are the boomer and the charger – all good attacks are started by them.

Spawning
One of the biggest mistakes newbies make playing as infected is in when and where they choose to spawn (it is often painfully amusing – with practise u can do the laughing instead of being laughed at) The key tactical skill of a good infected player is to spawn at the latest possible moment… this is because infected characters MAKE NOISE! Survivors will be listening for those noises and as soon as they hear you they will become more defensive and in most cases will hunt you down to eliminate you as a threat.

Spawning is crucial for slow and weak characters like spitters, boomers and smokers as once you have spawned those characters they make A LOT of noise and are very slow moving; making them massive targets for the survivors to hunt down (hunters and jockeys are fast moving so are less at risk – and hunters are silent until they crouch)

The most important fact you have to remember as an infected player is that you are trying to slow and stop the survivors… spawning behind them is never going to achieve this as they will simply carry on running (the only characters in exception to this is the smoker and splitter but I will explain later)
Most Newbie players panic trying to spawn a character as they struggle to find a place to spawn, because they don’t know the map – so learn the fucking maps with practise in public games. They then regularly get disorientated and spawn behind the survivors which as I have pointed out is useless because your not obstructing their progress (only spawn behind if your team mates are forcing them into a retreat) Boomers make a shit load of noise so you have to find a spawn point just ahead of the survivors, a spot where you can still spawn when they are literally next too you so by the time they’ve heard you their already fucked because your so close…

Infected Explained
Boomer – leads attacks, the bile blinds and confuses the survivor, if you can boom all 4 then your in serious business :) and none of them will be ale to see a thing then the horde will make things worse; your job is to put pressure on the survivors for the other 3 characters to exploit, the more players your blind the less likely they will be to defend or help their team mates.

Hunter – are the most diverse and useful characters, because they don’t make any noise until you crouch you can spawn anywhere. They can incap survivors that wonder off on their own and they can do a lot of damage when u pounce from great height… they support smokers very well and cause a lot of havoc during boomer hordes. Hunter train is vital as they are difficult to use and require a good skill base. Hunters right click scratch is a good idea in certain situations.

Jockey – is the weakest link in the line up of undead; there are sections of maps (designed) where they can be very deadly when you can walk players of high drops but other than that they pretty shit. Use them after a boomer or last in a chain of attacks; a good player can make great use of a jockey but they are hard to use effectively. Jockey’s right click scratch is a good idea in certain situations.

Spitters – are the snipers of the game, you have to get yourself in a high up hidden position where you can spit and then hide to recharge. Spitting acid is great when a pack of survivors are holding up in a corner or in corridors where you can block them and split them up… but the best use is to spit on a player that is being attacked by another infected or to a play that is on the floor incapped as no one will be able to get to him… Spitters on their own are shit but if you get yourself in a good position and observe and react well to the group attack you can inflict shit loads of damage. The circle around your crosshair needs to be fully charged before you can spit. Some situations it’s a good idea once you have spat to run at a incapped play and right click them till they kill you leaving spit all over them.

Charger – is the second most important character after the boomer, this is because they can, like the boomer, start attacks really effectively. If you can charge into the pack of players and carry one far away the others will all stumble for a while before they can get back up giving your infected teams mates a brilliant opportunity to attack. Also by massively separating one player from the group the others often panic to go and rescue them, leaving the slowest survivor to react to get fucked at the back by a hunter or smoker or jockey. Because the charger does so much damage it sparks a lot of panic in survivors when you carry someone away. Their right click melee attack is also very very powerful; it does 10 dmg a hit! Also like a jockey the charger can charge a play of the edge of a large drop, instantly killing the survivor by taking them off the map!!! This is awesome in certain scenarios and is a game winner.

Smokers – are great support characters like the jockey there are places in maps that suit them but generally they are support characters. This is the one character you want to spawn behind the survivors so you can drag them backward not forward… areas where survivors have to make a crossing are excellent smoker territory as they can pull players of the edge and incap them. (they are so much better than jockey’s)

Building an Attack
Back in L4D it when there was only 3 characters (boomers, hunters and smokers) it was very easy and simple attack strategy – boomer throws up and attacks horde the others combine their attacks against the players that haven’t been boomed upon. Now with the introduction of 3 more characters there is no longer a guarantee of getting a boomer… so you have to build your attack based on what characters you get in each spawn session…

Boomers and Chargers are the most important characters because they are the best at starting an attack – usually the first to die because they are the first to spawn but they cause mayhem when used properly that allows the other infected to cause much more damage in the chaos. So build the attack with them going first or sometimes use another character to give them an “opening”, an opportunity to maximise the effect of the boom or charge.

Hunters pair well with smokers by protecting the weak smoker – let the smoker drag a play away and then as a hunter pounce on the poor sod that comes to the rescue then you have two of them. Equally if a hunter pounces on a pair of survivors a smoker must make dam sure he gets the other guy.

Jockeys are like vultures they need to let the others attack and then pick of the guy trying to rescue his mate – either that or they are good to sacrifice to help the boom or charge.

The most important thing is to attack at the same time, if each infected gets a different survivor then there is no one around to rescue them…

It’s usually best to get someone vocally leading the attack, discus the ideas during you spawn time – but of course you need to be able to adapt when something happens during the attack that wasn’t planned; this will come with experience.

The most important aspect of Infected play is adaptability and observation!

Playing As The Survivors

*Team Defence*

The Golden Rule
You must NEVER EVER separate from your team mates because in doing so you will be putting a massive target on your back for the other team to attack. It is some important not to wonder off on your own because no one will be able to rescue you; your team will be very vulnerable when going to your aid and are very likely to get fucked over as they come to your rescue.

Winning Formation
The importance of staying close together in L4D is that it makes it very difficult for the special infected to incap your whole team**, if you are near a team mate you can cover each other from enemys. During an event or horde you want to back your team into a corner so that the infected can’t come at you from behind (this requires map knowledge and good observation). You need to take up a position when the infected can only come at you from one direction – if that’s not possible you want 2 players covering one entrance (and each other) and the other two covering the other entrance (in events like no mercy finale there are more than 2 points to cover so each player as to cover 4 entry points, whilst keeping an eye and eye on protecting their team mates)

** With the new L4D2 infected characters you have to be careful of spitters and chargers that are designed to break you up and punish group formations – I recommend sticking in pairs where you look after each other and keep the pairs fairly close

Quick Rescues
When you are jockeyed, hunter’d or smoked then your team mates can very quickly right click and push the zombie off you immediately so you don’t take any damage and to stop you getting separated from the group by the special infected. Right click pushing Zombies is the best rescue as you wont damage your team mate with bullets but if they are to far just try and shoot the hunter or jockey off them.

Enemy Spawn Points
This is the single biggest tactical aspect of a VS game and the skill that newbies take longest to understand and to implement – it requires a lot of common sense as well as map knowledge. ‘When you play as infected you need to learn where you can spawn and stay close to the enemy…’ So as a survivor when you know where these points are you need to protect yourself and your team mates from them by COVERING SPAWN POINTS!!! Now even without much map knowledge you can use you common sense; look at your surrounds and think where would you be trying to spawn as an infected character (or where you have seen other people spawn before). Pillars, trees, corners, roofs any hiding area you need to put yourself in a position that stops them spawning there… its so so so simple and so effective and unfortunately only comes with game time experience. The people you are playing with all can see it happening and notice things you haven’t – that’s why they get frustrated. Covering spawn points is the literal difference between winning and loosing… its really that important.

Boomers
So many rookie (and sometimes experienced) players shoot the boomer and cover themselves and/or team mates in puke… very bad. You need to be constantly listening for a boomer, they need to become your teams highest priority when they spawn, so if you hear one TELL YOUR TEAM MATES! If you push a boomer with right click he stumbles and can’t throw up – remember that! If you shoot him that’s fine as long as he is far enough away, if you pop him and get puke on you/others then you have achieved his goal for him – don’t help the other team, keep your nerve and push him away and retreat before shooting him.

Items
So many people new to the game waste their items… you need to hold back precious items to defend your self in difficult situations.
Molys – hold them for a possible tank, or use it to cover deadly spawn point.
Pills – save these for when the shit hits the fan, their more important than health packs as they can heal instant during a battle.
Adreneline – save like pills but are better used for making a get away, use to escape and then heal when it runs out or with a tank.
(basically you want to avoid wasting time by going down – use pills/adreneline as a last resort to extend their effectiveness)
Pipe Bomb – obviously for hordes but just think how use full it could have been to clear a horde when u get boomed during a tank… don’t waste them but hypocritically don’t be afraid to use them… no use to you when your dead and their great when u need to rush because they clear areas of Zombies.
Boomer Bile – throwing bile isn’t like a pipe bomb, if you get boomed don’t waste your bile as it won’t fucking work if you or you team mates already have sick on them; so many people waste it when they are boomed… Bile is epic against tanks because they can’t see and you can then attack it with melee weapons very effectively.

Melee Weapons
Always get a good and fast melee weapon they are so much more useful than a pistol as you can destroy hordes and if you are bold you can batter a tank if you get him from behind although this is very very very risky :P But during a horde melee weapons are invaluable as ammo can be a problem – if you left click then right click in a pattern you will melee then push in a way that will protect you for a long time without you running out of stamina for either (so many players spam right click and get raped while they wait for the stamina circle to recharge)

*Self Defence*

Catching
When you are attacked by Hunters and Jockeys there is an opportunity for you to “catch” them and protect yourself; this takes A LOT of practise… As they pounce you have a slim chance to right click and push them away a split second before they land on you – knocking them over as they fly at you through the air (ofc if you miss they munch your arse) Never rely on this, catching is a last defence as if you and your team are playing well then the Hunters and Jockeys will find it hard to get near you.

Smoking Ban
If a team mate is smoked and you can’t right click them THEN SHOOT THE TONGUE! If you shoot the tongue it will break, freeing your team mate much quicker than you can run to them (in running to them you will also take damage yourself and leave you a target to a hunter).

It will be a while for the smoker to recharge before he can attack so just leave him stuck behind you and carry on (obviously in some situations you want to kill him after the rescue but you can easily leave him)
Whenever a smoker pulls you shoot his tongue or him – if you have no idea where he is then well your fucked.

When all is said and done this game is a very adaptable and changeable environment that you constantly need to adapt and react to as a survivor or infected player. It is very important to have a leader but you need to think for yourself and to react accordingly to the change in circumstances as it happens.

It is a very good idea to have a leader, because it is more effective to follow a shit plan as a team all working to the same idea than to work as individuals to 4 different amazing plans – team work wins this game end of!
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:18 pm «Top

PostRe: L4D2 VS Game Bible by thetrooper

absolutely brilliant guide runner , a lot of players will benefit from this (both new and old)

thanks man
You take my life but I'll take yours too
You fire your musket but I run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back.

[img=center]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW8J-yDR6ylK-bH250xyOF0uJClLETJZq4nlNiAXH5VqAJoa5K[/img]

thetrooper

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
» Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:41 pm «Top

PostRe: L4D2 VS Game Bible by Nickers

really good guide Runner - as someone that is looking to play the game for the first time soon I may just print this out and take it to bed with me to memorise ;)
I have been a nerd since long before I could have heard
That bookish girls should look and act a certain way
And I'll still be a geek when I am utterly antique

Nickers

National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:15 pm «Top

PostRe: L4D2 VS Game Bible by Runner

cheers no worries i hope it helps :) I had fun writting it :)
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:47 pm «Top

PostRe: L4D2 VS Game Bible by Jasperman

Good Job Runner
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

Raging Goblin wrote:He raged at the world,
at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:40 am «Top

PostRe: L4D2 VS Game Bible by Gornil

Nice! Now I might not be such a n00b at L4D2 when I try it =p
Energizer bunny arrested, charged with battery.

Gornil

National Flag:
Norway
» Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:39 am «Top

PostRe: L4D2 VS Game Bible by Runner

yer now I may find it much more difficult since i've gifted all the tactics XD
Signed Runner

Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 am «Top

PostRe: L4D2 VS Game Bible by wickedwillie

Very very very nice guide Runner!!!
I read Bacon's guide too but this one is even better!

:clap: for ur boring job!

Gonna read this couple of times i guess!
And make post-its :)
So when im not replying or reacting slow in game, it means im reading my post-its :ph34r:
wickedwillie

National Flag:
Belgium
» Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:41 pm «Top

PostRe: L4D2 VS Game Bible by Loader87

Awesome! Really helpful guide :clap:
Loader87

» Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:03 pm «Top