Post your problems, whether they be PC related or other tech woes

Stupid Long Title

PostStupid Long Title by Jasperman

Hi all, after over a month without Internet I've finally got it installed.

As some of you know I've made another lifechangin move and moved back to cork.

Tonight I decided to get my computer up and.running so I cocould get back gaming.

Unfortunately my computer will not turn on. I've disconnect all hard drives etc and did.some minor dust cleaning, but no matter what I did I could.not.get the system to start. I can confirm my motherboard has power, the little light turns on when it's plugged in.

Any suggestions on how to fix would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot afford to replace anything so if it's bust I will no longer be able to PC game. Any help would be much appreciated.

What I will be attempting is a thorough clean where I remove and dust every piece.
But if anyone has other suggestions please let me know.

A very sad jasper
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

Raging Goblin wrote:He raged at the world,
at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Ireland
» Thu May 01, 2014 10:58 pm «Top

PostRe: dead computer could mean the loss of jasper by Chef

Ok.

Did the drives spin up at all when powered on and fid any fans start?
Chef
Dungeon Master

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Thu May 01, 2014 11:40 pm «Top

PostRe: dead computer could mean the loss of jasper by Runner

Ok this is a process of elimination to find the fault which may be tricky as you need a working rig to confirm things but there are still assumptions you can make.

It could be somthing as trivial as the cableing of the case button has detached, I think I remember you getting quite a nice computer so you may find that on the motherboard there is an on-the-board power button so try using that first of all. Also look around the case checking every connection and wiring route.

Still not working? Describe in more detail what happens when you push in the power button, do the fans spin? do you get a system beep? do you get a Bios screen on the monitor? (connect one of the fans [if not already] to a molex directly of your psu so it is independent of the motherboard to help the process of elimination)

If you are getting a system beep but no picture than there is something wrong with your GPU/Cable/Monitor so try testing the onboard graphics, another cable from work and another monitor/tv (one by one)

if you are getting more than one system beep (there a many series of beeps like morse that communicate different faults) google the pattern of beeps you get.

if you are getting no beep and the fans arent spinning than your psu could be merked try and corrow a psu and try that.

if the fans are spinning but theres no picture and no beep than the mother board could be broken/shorting out/or freaking out with another coponant.

If thats the case try removing components one by one (sounds like you started this) trying a boot in between each removal. You could also try flashing the CMOS which usually entails just removing the watch battery and reattaching it to clear the memory of the mother board. Take this component removal to the point where its literally the motherboard connected to nothing but the psu with the mother board and psu removed from the case and resting on cardboard or something insulated as the case or wiring of your set up could be shorting out the mobo.

Test with other PSU then order of removal = CD Drives>Gpu>HDD>RAM>out of case.

Don't bother removing the CPU as it should get to the bloody bios.

if you are at the stage where you have confirmed that the psu isnt boned because the fans are running but you are getting no system beeps or picture of the bare mobo on a sheet of card board than its your mother board. If at any point in the trouble shooting it starts to work, than the last componant you removed is the bogus trouble maker.

Sorry as per usual thats a scatter brain and poorly written list of points/advice but if you want we could have a call or facetime over the weekend and I could help you trouble shoot - monday is the best for me.

Any one else please chip in with my instructions and correct or add to where necessary (here looking at you Dave)
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri May 02, 2014 12:12 am «Top

PostRe: dead computer could mean the loss of jasper by Jasperman

No fans and no bios
I'm hoping it's the case and that the mb and psu docs at my parents will guide me right to prove this.
As for spare parts I've none :( I'll double check but I believe my mother took my moving out as an option to dump everything.
Here's hoping.
Also sorry for bad posts I hate using my phone for this stuff.

I'll let you know how I get on at the weekend I will have to wait for a proper opportunity to do it.
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Fri May 02, 2014 2:43 pm «Top

PostRe: dead computer could mean the loss of jasper by Runner

awesome well no fans points to a psu (as long as you have attached the fan to the psu not the mobo)
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri May 02, 2014 3:50 pm «Top

PostRe: dead computer could mean the continued loss of jasper by Solarity

Funnily enough I have a spare PSU if it happens to be broke...

If you have a volt meter then maybe you can check the voltages coming out of the molexs etc
Solarity

National Flag:
Czech Republic
» Fri May 02, 2014 6:53 pm «Top

PostRe: dead computer could mean the continued loss of jasper by Jasperman

Solarity you are amazing, I will be borrowing my dads voltmeter tomorrow :)
I may need tips on how to test the PSU though I've no idea.

I've done a deep clean tonight, everything is disconnected.
With just PSU, mb and CPU, still no start up(The mb light does light up), I'm still hoping its the cases button, but starting to think PSU is screwed, will know more tomorrow :)

Thanks for the help people
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Fri May 02, 2014 10:46 pm «Top

Psu screwed :(
Attachments
DSC_0008.jpg
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Sat May 03, 2014 6:07 pm «Top

PostRe: dead computer could mean the continued loss of jasper by Solarity

PM me your address, all I ask for is payment for shipping which I will let you know once I have sent it...
Solarity

National Flag:
Czech Republic
» Sat May 03, 2014 8:50 pm «Top

Solarity wrote:PM me your address, all I ask for is payment for shipping which I will let you know once I have sent it...

You is the best just let me know the cost and how to pay.
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Sat May 03, 2014 11:30 pm «Top