Post your problems, whether they be PC related or other tech woes

Mobile Broadband?

PostMobile Broadband? by Bex

Hello Geeks,

I need some nerdy tech answers!

Situation: I currently live with a retired couple. Their internet is shocking, takes 5 minutes to load a normal page.. cant view anything on youtube.. cant play online games.. etc. Spotify it just manages... They are not going to upgrade their internet as I should not be here for that many months.

I thought about mobile broadband. I went into EE today as I though "hmm maybe I need 4G to play games.."(no idea) It is looking like it will be £49.99 for the wifi device and then £16 (3GB) or £21 (5GB) or £26 (8GB) a month. This just seems too expensive. Plus I do not know what allowance I would need. And I may only need it for like 3 to 4 months until I find my own place.

Any other suggests/information on what I need - Please advise.

Regards,
Bex
Bex

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:49 pm «Top

PostRe: Mobile Broadband? by AngryCrocodile

Depending on phone and contract, you could always tether to your mobile?

Bracknell is annoying in that it is surrounded by a ring of 4g areas and we're stuck with hspda. That being said, I am on three with unlimited data and get 7.68mb down, 1.9mb up and 85ms Ping.
AngryCrocodile

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:28 pm «Top

PostRe: Mobile Broadband? by StuntKid

You mentioned you had unlimited data on your phone contract? Tethering may be a viable solution depending on the speed and connection you get.
StuntKid

National Flag:
Pokemon Island
» Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:11 pm «Top

PostRe: Mobile Broadband? by Runner

agreed with stunt, if tethering is part of your contract then try just conecting your phone to the computer (you have an iphone right - otherwise not sure how this works)

In terms of getting a dongle just make sure that you first check out how good the signal is in the room you want to use, and for the love of all that is whole don't get on a contract if you only need it for a few months.

In terms of choosing how much data, pffft don't really know depends what your downing. If you download or update the games you wanna play then your gonna piss through your monthly cap before the game is playable and up to date. A solution is to go to a friends house to download/update your games first. After that it s a matter of home much streaming/download you then do per month which is gonna be the factor of how much data you need.
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:44 pm «Top

PostRe: Mobile Broadband? by Bex

I did try linking it to my phone but giffgaff caught me out :( Maybe I should update my phone :P

yea I'm not really sure what to do. I may just have to cope with it and hope I find a house soon where I can have my own broadband! haha
Bex

National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:38 pm «Top