Post your problems, whether they be PC related or other tech woes

PC Build

PostPC Build by Calboa

So, I'm going to be ordering parts for a build a week on Monday, and would like a bit of advice on what to get.
Here's what I've been thinking about getting: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Calboa/saved/24cN
Planning on getting a cpu cooler at a later date to overclock the 6300 lots, along with case fans if the stock ones turn out quite loud in that case.

Some advice on a monitor to get would be good as well, I don't really know much about them apart from IPS ones being decent.

My budget is around about £650 including a monitor, although less than that would be good if any changes are made.

Thanks a bunch,
Cal
Calboa

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:37 pm «Top

PostRe: PC Build by Calboa

Okay, thanks for the advice.

First off, I've got a few issues with the intel build, namely about the cpu. Although you say that the pentium would be "an investment", I really will not have the extra £180 or so to spend on a K-series haswell chip at any point in the near future to get the usefulness out of the z87 mobo. If I was to go intel, with a haswell chip, the i5 4440 and an H87 mobo would be a better bet, but this also removes any possibility of overclocking, something that I'd quite like to do.
As far as games go, if all that I played were games that are as GPU bound as smite, there'd be no point in going much more powerful than the pentium. But, since some games that I do play, or will play in the future, will be cpu bound, namely BF3 and BF4 multiplayer, having the dual core would definitely be a lot worse than the fx 6300 in my original build.
As far as AMD being a hell of a lot worse with gaming, that only really comes into play when you've got an extremely powerful gpu in the system, or when the game is terribly optimised for multiple threads (namely older games).

With RAM, 8 GB is definitely needed since some of the software I need to use is pretty bad with using it up, I've managed to max the 4GB on my laptop in the past while doing things.

GPU-wise, the 660 ti can be had for £160 on a different site, but I hadn't actually thought of looking at it as a possibility before, so that'll definitely be taken into consideration.

With the PSU, that OCZ one isn't actually 80-plus certified. I've not looked at any reviews of it to see which OEM makes it, but I'd rather go with something modular that's at least 80-plus bronze certified. I've known a number of pcs that have been taken completely out of commission by sub-standard psus, so I'd rather be on the safe side for that.

The case is a bit of an issue. The Corsair 200r that I chose before has a number of features that the casecom lacks, namely USB3 front jacks, something that, while not being an issue just now, would be something that would be nice to have a few years down the line, since I would plan on using the case for future builds. I'm not really a fan of gaudy stuff either, so the LED fan on the front is a definite no-no.

With the AMD build you listed, the mobo there would be absolutely terrible, having an older chipset, and having no vrm heatsinks, thus being pretty bad for overclocking. The M5A97 R2.0 costs the same and would be much better for overclocking (while not ideal).

Good shout on the monitor, I hadn't actually seen that when looking through things, gonna nab one of them asap.

Thanks,
Cal
Calboa

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:39 pm «Top

PostRe: PC Build by Calboa

I probably should have said to begin with that the budget was pretty well static with no real room for buying new stuff later on (got a reasonably large first student loan payment and some money saved that I can spend), since my income goes way down after getting it.

If I could afford to get a 4670k I'd jump at it in a heartbeat (gonna build a bitchin' pc as soon as I have the disposable income after graduating), so this build is sort of a stop gap before I can afford better stuff.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/comp ... PartPicker
I really wasn't expecting to find one for that low so I never actually looked, super happy I did though :D (hopefully this'll last a couple of weeks so I can order one before the price goes up)

Edit: Not the asus 660ti, but still a damn good deal
Calboa

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:02 pm «Top