Post your problems, whether they be PC related or other tech woes

Home Networking

PostHome Networking by Runner

Hi guys, I'm soon to embark upon cabling my computer, one the first floor, to the TV in the room below. I have a route planned that I need to measure its exact length (roughly 10 meters) and I'm doing some research on the best solutions/products.

The aim is to be able to ply games from my computer on my TV so latency and signal quality is fundamental to what I'm doing.

My original approach was to buy a long HDMI cable (i'll come back to this) and a long USB cable, I understand that USB has a max length of 5 meters before the signal drops off but that you can buy 10 meter cables that have like a powered amplification to boost the signal. Reading some reviews it sounds like the latency of these devices are terrible.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIXES-Active-R ... +cable+usb

My next approach for the usb connectivity would be a cat 5 cable with usb 2.0 adapters at each end, I have no experience with these and was wondering if any of you have at work or home used cat 5 usb adapters?

I seem to find a few 10 meter hdmi cables that boast of 1080p 60p signal quality but I am again dubious and since I'm looking at cat cables for the usb I might then try hdmi adapters with cat6 for the video/sounds - have any of you tried this either?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... 9NRCT2YEEM

The wild card option and one I wish to avoid is wireless, the signal seems to be good in the house but I have avoided all gaming related wireless technology all the way throw owning a computer because I can't stand the idea of latency spikes at crucial moments in a game. But having said that there seems to be a product by ASUS that does everything I need in one box, I'm just very causious to pin my hopes on wireless connectivity and again wondering if anyone here has tried such a thing?
https://www.asus.com/Multimedia/WAVI/

Any advice or help on the matter would be gratefully appreciated, if not I hope this thread ends up helping other people out when I have spent all my monies making it work.
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:56 am «Top

PostRe: Home Networking by Deadpunk

Though you could go with one the options you've stated, the best results will be with a KVM extender. This will be a bit expensive, though, as a rough guide:

http://www.networktechinc.com/usbkvm-hdmi-ip.html
I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you
I'm the space invader, I'll be a rock 'n' rollin' bitch for you
Deadpunk

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:26 pm «Top

PostRe: Home Networking by Runner

Just came across this, pretty good reading:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1272288/hdmi- ... osting/120

And cheers dp :)
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:48 pm «Top

I take it that beast of a box is gonna have very low latency, enough to game comfortably? Also where can you buy one? looks expensive :)
Signed Runner

Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:22 pm «Top

Signed Runner

Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:51 pm «Top

with the development of the steamOS, which includes home streaming, I have put this effort on hold to see what develops over the coming months.

On top of this whilst reading engadgets cES2014 awards this new startup caught my eye called Airtame. I'm always dubious about wifi for gaming uses but this thing may have potential and also might be fine for a game of risk or watching a movie, time will tell:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/airta ... veryone--2
Signed Runner

Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:33 pm «Top