Post your problems, whether they be PC related or other tech woes

Issues with business website

PostIssues with business website by Trevor Hanley

Hi guys, as i'm sure all of you know by now www.favourfairy.co.uk is my parents business and where I work etc. We have a technical issue and i thought this was a good place to ask for help (our tech guy can't help and you will understand why if you keep reading!)

Backround first; we have 2 lines into the unit. One is a line from BT that is just used for the internet. It gets about 5mb but isn't always the smoothest, it drops every so often and hangs a bit. But 90% of the time it's a solid connection so akuna mattata. Runs through standard BT router. The other is a line from 5rings who supply our VOIP phones and we use it only for phone calls. Gets about .5 meg because that's all we need for phones. With me so far?

We recently changed our server host for the site and this is where the issue started. Our BT line (the one 10x faster upload & dl speed) is INCREDIBLY slow on the front end and back end. The line speed etc hasn't changed or anything and it works fine with every single website except ours. We have reset the router. Cleared caches on PCs tried different browsers and nothing fixes it. It's taking 15-20 seconds to load a single page which is unworkable.

To complicate matters further. The line with .5meg loads the website fine and how you would expect it to. Google hasn't reported any change in page load time for customers and all the sites i've used to look at the page load time report no issues at all.

So my question is simply this. Any idea what the fuck is causing this issue. For the moment we can struggle by on a slower line as we're planning on moving over to fibre optic at the unit sooner rather than later. But my concern is, as always, customer based in that if we are having this issue with a line, are some of our customers?

Any help would be much appreciated and i hope this does read like it makes sense.

x
I'm a poo

Trevor Hanley

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
United Arab Emirates
» Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:56 am «Top

PostRe: Issues with business website by Chef

Just so you know just fired up your website via phone on 3g and took less than 3 seconds to load so from an customers point of view its ok.

Have you pinged out to see if your connection is what is it should be?
Chef
Dungeon Master

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:48 pm «Top

PostRe: Issues with business website by Trevor Hanley

Chef wrote:Just so you know just fired up your website via phone on 3g and took less than 3 seconds to load so from an customers point of view its ok.

Have you pinged out to see if your connection is what is it should be?

Without sounding like a computer illiterate spastic, pinged out??

I've run test son speedtest.net and they're all fine. Much better than home internet and my phones 3g. But both of those connect to the site far far quicker than this BT line we have.

As i say, we know it's fine for most of the customers, it's just concern that a specific setup may be causing this. Just tried it again on the faster line and hangs like crazy while i was able to go on competitiors websites no problem at all. Changed back to the "slower" internet connection and it was back to normal on our site and others.
I'm a poo

Trevor Hanley

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
National Flag:
United Arab Emirates
» Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:34 pm «Top

PostRe: Issues with business website by AngryCrocodile

Takes me 21ms to ping Favour fairy...

Run cmd.exe, enter ping www.favourfairy.co.uk

That'll send 4 packets of 32 bytes which'll tell you how long it's taking to communicate with the server and how many are being lost (this bit is not good)
AngryCrocodile

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:40 pm «Top

PostRe: Issues with business website by AngryCrocodile

Is it just favourfairy.co.uk you're having issues with?
AngryCrocodile

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:41 pm «Top

yeah, everything on http://www.favourfairy.co.uk is slow on that line. Back & front of site. Rest of internet is fine.

pinged it. 23ms no packets lost. Occasionally everything seems to sync up fine and it's really really quick, but 85-90% of the time it's awful (so i tried a few times over a few minutes while using the site as well and they all came back between 22-25)
I'm a poo

Trevor Hanley

National Flag:
United Arab Emirates
» Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:22 pm «Top

PostRe: Issues with business website by Jasperman

Code: Select all
tracert favourfairy.co.uk

on both lines...

My results from doing so... (altered for security work purposes)
Tracing route to favourfairy.co.uk [193.254.210.62]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 40 ms <1 ms <1 ms ******
2 2 ms <1 ms <1 ms ******
3 1 ms 3 ms <1 ms ******
4 6 ms 5 ms 6 ms ******
5 46 ms 47 ms 46 ms ******
6 46 ms 48 ms 47 ms ******
7 46 ms 46 ms 46 ms ******
8 47 ms 47 ms 47 ms ******
9 47 ms 47 ms 47 ms ******
10 47 ms 47 ms 47 ms ******
11 47 ms 48 ms 47 ms ******
12 48 ms 48 ms 48 ms ******
13 48 ms 49 ms 48 ms ******
14 61 ms 58 ms 56 ms ******
15 114 ms 59 ms 58 ms ******
16 74 ms 74 ms 74 ms ******
17 72 ms 72 ms 74 ms ******
18 74 ms 70 ms 71 ms ******
19 84 ms 82 ms 83 ms ******
20 84 ms 84 ms 84 ms ******
21 85 ms 85 ms 86 ms ******
22 85 ms 85 ms 85 ms ******
23 83 ms 85 ms 85 ms falco.visn.co.uk [193.254.210.62]

Trace complete.

Please send me your results from both connections... Ideally if you have the IP you used to have with your previous host i can tell you the issue you are experiencing

My Stats
Chrome Browser - less than a second to load it
Ping -
Pinging favourfairy.co.uk [193.254.210.62] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 193.254.210.62: bytes=32 time=103ms TTL=40
Reply from 193.254.210.62: bytes=32 time=84ms TTL=40
Reply from 193.254.210.62: bytes=32 time=85ms TTL=40
Reply from 193.254.210.62: bytes=32 time=85ms TTL=40

Ping statistics for 193.254.210.62:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 84ms, Maximum = 103ms, Average = 89ms
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

Raging Goblin wrote:He raged at the world,
at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:23 pm «Top

I'm at home. Will run through that on Monday for you jaspy. Many thanks.
I'm a poo

Trevor Hanley

National Flag:
United Arab Emirates
» Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:59 pm «Top

I wouldnt worry too much about the times in my ping/trace as im in work and they are all firewalled up :)
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:40 pm «Top

Strange, it seems that your system is working perfectly fine. There does not seem to be any bottleneck. In fact the slower line should take longer to load. My only other guess is that the "firewall" in your work place is causing the problem.

Btw when did you get notified your name got Changed to Julie? (for all those who dont know im referencing his stack trace user name)
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:46 pm «Top