Post your problems, whether they be PC related or other tech woes

New PC for housemate

PostRe: New PC for housemate by Roosell

If it's taken him this long to get Chev to buy a proper machine I think an SSD is a bridge too far :mrgreen:
RIP Cuervo
Roosell

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Canada
» Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:26 pm «Top

PostRe: New PC for housemate by Runner

RubberJonny wrote:..I'm kinda surprised you haven't tried to push for an SSD too ...

lol ty jonny your faith in my advice is unmeasurable :P
Roosell wrote:If it's taken him this long to get Chev to buy a proper machine I think an SSD is a bridge too far :mrgreen:

His eye's lit up to the boot time but then went dull very quickly when I explained the price/capacity, I said to him its better something he buys in 6 months or a year and will then give his machine a better boost and spread the cost over time :P and as jonny may be surprised to hear from me I see an SSD as a frill and non esstial part of le build :)

SSD's are an upgrade imo :)
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:12 pm «Top

PostRe: New PC for housemate by Deadpunk

There are several suggestions here which will result in a good mid-range PC with a heavy emphasis on gaming, including the original options. What comes to my mind is the fact that if he's been using an iMac then he's probably used to having a decent start-up time and doesn't know about or want overclocking. If he uses it for watching TV then he will want quiet operation.

So, for starters, a K series CPU is a waste of money, especially without a fan for the thing. Secondly, you need to get a CPU fan and take noise in account with choice of case (and GPU).

For fans, I would recommend the following:

Budget: Gelid Tranquillo
Mid-range: Noctua NH-D14
High-end: Corsair H80i

Any of the above will be much quieter and more efficient than the stock cooler. With CPUs, it is cooling that is the bigger factor for future-proofing right now.

Ditch the K series, save a tenner or so with the standard version.

I would push for an SSD, specifically the Samsung 840 Basic. Once hardware is at the kind of level being looked at here, and arguably well before that point, what affects how much you enjoy using a PC is your monitor and how responsive it is (HDD speed).

There are a few other tqeaks I would personally make, particularly around the case (I am obsessed with quiet cases), but I would say you definitely need a decent after-market CPU fan, you definitely don't need a K series CPU and I strongly recommend an SSD.
I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you
I'm the space invader, I'll be a rock 'n' rollin' bitch for you
Deadpunk

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:42 pm «Top

PostRe: New PC for housemate by RampantBadger

imapc
RampantBadger

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
National Flag:
Canada
» Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:42 pm «Top

PostRe: New PC for housemate by RubberJonny

@DP - Unfortunately you are a little late to the discussion and purchases have already been made but i think you brought up some decent points. I can see how noise would be an issue if using a PC in a silent environment but unless you're using your rig as a head rest it is unlikely you'll hear the fans over your speakers (my media rig's fans are audible but only when i'm not using the speakers or headset). Also if you like quiet; check out the NZXT H2 (new model uses onboard USB 3 for the front panel). Affordable and awesome.

I can also understand the appeal of a SSD but i stand by my HDD choice. A fast HDD will boot quickly at least for a few months before it starts filling up. Though based on Runner's description of the buying process the guy has likely bought the cheapest (and slowest) drive he could find.

I did forget that quick and easy may have appealed to the housemate in question just as much as keeping it on a sensible budget. I may have recommended a pre-built machine to give him the plug in and play accessibility and a warranty.

@Runner - I hope your housemate is happy with his purchase and he continues to be a PC user for as long as it meets his needs.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:53 pm «Top