Post your problems, whether they be PC related or other tech woes

New PC for housemate

PostNew PC for housemate by Runner

My house mates iMac finally died, I've been telling him to build a pc for ages and well
now its time for me to come up with a price and guidance, this is what I came up with, please read through and check the components are suitable for each other (ie is the ram optimal for the fb?)

CPU - 179.98 http://www.dabs.com/products/intel-core ... -7YXJ.html
MOBO - 79.99 http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-p8z77 ... -80TK.html
RAM - 42.13 http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-8g ... -7JZ8.html
PSU - 47.89 http://www.dabs.com/products/ocz-techno ... -7H49.html
GPU - 187.99 http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-gefor ... -89P1.html
HD - 52.99 http://www.dabs.com/products/seagate-1t ... -7XD5.html
CD - 11.98 http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung-18 ... -88J8.html

Delivery - 0.99
Total - 603.94

Now the first thing i realised is that the ahopping list is what I would buy... he only uses his computer for watcing tv, work and internet browesing but I believe that he will get into gaming if he had a pc that could handle it - especially as his xbox is becoming redundant. He really likes racing games and simcity but is not into AAA FPS like BF3 so I was think on saving money on the CPU/GPU which are probably a little overkill for his needs:

CPU - 149.98 http://www.dabs.com/products/intel-core ... -85GF.html
(not able to overclock and slightly slower cpu, saves £30)
GPU - 116.98 - http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-gefor ... -8BNV.html

But are the short term savings on the above companents worth the weakening of the PC's life span? I've read a bit about the 3570 being the successor to the awesome 2500k but is the 3470 s that much of a step down - is the cost save worth the performance trade off basically?

Now I really don't know anything about the 650ti, do you guys recon it will handle grid 2 on 1920x1200 with some filtering? I think he should get a 660 looking forward to the next hen of games spawned by the new consoles - but as he's not a gaming enthusiast Im causious of pushing him into a more expensive card.

Any suggestions for cases around £40-50?

Finally with work going mental at me I ask that if anyone out there who is upto date on projected/rumoured release dates for new cpus/gpus please post here as i havent the time to mine the internet and research (writing this on the train to work) I havent looked into hardware for a few months and fear my knowledge is obsolete XD

Cheers
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:34 pm «Top

PostRe: New PC for housemate by Roosell

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&cat=23&store=2&sort=price%20ascending&limit=10

I usually buy stuff off ebuyer as it's dead cheap, and there's a load of cases there that come with PSU's so you might be able to kill two birds with one stone?

I'd probably future-proof this as much as you can as Chev will get irritated if he can't run stuff in 2 years.
RIP Cuervo
Roosell

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
National Flag:
Canada
» Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:04 pm «Top

PostRe: New PC for housemate by Runner

Ywer I flip between ebuyer and dabs for price - I'll double check the components from dabs ebuyer and scan again before purchase but when I looked dabs came out cheapest this time by £5.

My view on a case, having had a shit one in the past, is buy something that last for future builds and I've usually steered clear of bundled psu's opting for modula branded psu's

Anyone else ever bought case and psu bundles? as roos points out its a good mony save but are my prconceptions of this cost me/him more time and agro than the savings worth?
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:13 pm «Top

PostRe: New PC for housemate by Chef

futureproofing is essential as otherwise it turns into a longer term investment over a longer period of time.

looks like the HDD is no longer available.
Chef
Dungeon Master

National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:28 pm «Top

Chef wrote:futureproofing is essential as otherwise it turns into a longer term investment over a longer period of time.

looks like the HDD is no longer available.

Yer that my thought, he's just very jewish with his money, I will re impress upon him the value of his investment :)
Signed Runner

Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:40 pm «Top

PostRe: New PC for housemate by StuntKid

I suppose shop around for the best price and haggle for spare parts if your housemate wants to save as much money as possible.

I spent about £400 upgrading my comp. Bought from amazon/ebuyer:
cpu --- i5-3570k ----- £160
ram --- Corsair V2x8gb- £65
mobo - MSI G43Z77 ----£73
gpu --- Asus 3750 -----£15 (donated, paid postage)
psu --- Corsair GS700 --£70~

have still yet to buy new hdd but just about hanging on with only 160gb and 80gb drives.

Also look into amazon:

CPU - £171.97
RAM - £44.98
(price gone up on dabs)
StuntKid

National Flag:
Pokemon Island
» Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:24 pm «Top

PostRe: New PC for housemate by RubberJonny

More details would be appreciated. A definitive price would be most useful.
I spent my morning putting together a rig i advised a friend on and i will recommend a similar build here:
Ebuyer Parts:
Case -£15.99
Casecom KSM-7288
MB -£83.99
Asus P8Z77-V LX2
PSU - £48.21
Corsair 500W CXM
HDD - £73.00
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Amazon Parts:
CPU - £132.98
Intel i5 2320 3.0 GHz Quad Core
RAM - £44.98
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz
GPU - £116.98
Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti

CPU power lead extension cable (just in case) - £1.79

Total £517.92 and both sites offer free postage.

Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 SoundCard (if required) - £22.32

Does he not need an OS? I suggest the Win7 Pro OEM for £100 if he does.

As usual i'm aiming for value and efficiency rather than raw power. The GTX 650 Ti will likely not run Grid 2 on max settings at 1920x1200 but it will run it well and it will easily handle the day-to-day use.

Before you say shit, the case kicks ass and i'm hugely pleased with what it has to offer (not even just for the price but in general). I also believe that if he does want to expand or commit to a better PC build in the future replacing a £16 case isn't going to make him reconsider. The GTX 650 Ti is a little long and will block a couple of the drive bays but that's not much of an issue.

Again, if you could give more information when you have time it would be appreciated but most importantly a definitive price limit is a necessity before anything can be finalized.

Runner wrote:... anyone out there who is upto date on projected/rumoured release dates for new cpus/gpus...
Meh. I've heard nothing. Same old: CPUs - Intel > AMD. GPUs - Nvidia ≥ ATI, mostly which ever is on the best offer is the best to get. Also most of what i've read is that Ivy Bridge doesn't offer much more over Sandy Bridge, at least not in the more affordable models.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 pm «Top

cheers jonny, I sneer not at that case, looks very good, a lot of case for the money :)

and thanks for the reply, does give me a few options to present him with other than just what I would have bought myself in his situation :)
Signed Runner

Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:12 pm «Top

You mentioned he likes to watch TV but i dunno if that means you need to consider surround sound or not? I just threw in the 5.1 Sound Card mostly as a reminder.

Also i forgot the Optical Drive - £13.49
Liteon Ihas124 24x

I have both this drive and the Samsung 18x you listed. The Samsung one sucks for watching movies (tends to skip and fail a lot) but the Liteon works like a dream.

If you're intent on forcing a high end CPU and GPU upon the poor fellow you can at least get them cheaper:
Intel i5 3570K - £171.97
Asus GeForce GTX 660 DirectCU II OC - £184.99

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 pm «Top

Runner wrote:... I believe that saving a little bit on each component ends up costing you more in the long run - but that's my opinion
You address this very issue in your post:
Runner wrote:Now the first thing i realised is that the shopping list is what I would buy... He only uses his computer for watching TV, work and internet browsing but I believe that he will get into gaming if he had a PC that could handle it - especially as his Xbox is becoming redundant. He really likes racing games and SimCity but is not into AAA FPS like BF3 so I was think on saving money on the CPU/GPU which are probably a little overkill for his needs...

Now I really don't know anything about the 650ti, do you guys recon it will handle Grid 2 on 1920x1200 with some filtering? I think he should get a 660 looking forward to the next gen of games spawned by the new consoles - but as he's not a gaming enthusiast I'm cautious of pushing him into a more expensive card.
He's not in to the Triple A FPS titles (currently the games with the most demanding engines; CryEngine and Frostbite) thus he doesn't need the best of the best. On top of this the GTX 650 Ti is capable of running the Triple A FPS titles on their max settings if he wasn't using a super, massive bastard resolution to compensate for is small penis. Also the GTX 660 Ti is barely future proof worthy but it is at a good price currently.

I stand by my value over flair choice because based on his current needs it should keep him set for a good while but God forbid that he ever have to run a game on medium settings :o

He's your friend, brah, so i guess whatever you want is final but can i at least implore you to buy at the best possible price you can. For example (based on a combination of your requirements and my suggestions):

Ebuyer Parts:
Case (White) - £43.26
NZXT Source 210 Elite (Good Mid-Tower case for £40-£50)
MB - £83.99
Asus P8Z77-V LX2 (better version of the MB you linked)
PSU - £48.21
Corsair 500W CXM (well priced Modular PSU)
HDD - £73.00
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Optical Drive - £13.49
Liteon Ihas124 24x

Amazon Parts:
Case (Black) - £41.99
NZXT Source 210 Elite (if he'd prefer a cheaper and/or black version of the case)
CPU - £171.97
Intel i5 3570K (to infinity and beyond!)
RAM - £44.98
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz
GPU - £184.99
Asus GeForce GTX 660 DirectCU II OC (the spiffiest of graphics)

CPU power lead extension cable (just in case) - £1.79

Total £664.41 (black case) or £665.68 (white case). Both sites offer free postage.

You also still haven't addressed if he needs an OS or Surround Sound:
Win7 Pro OEM - £100
Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card (for example) - £22.32
Edit:
What about a monitor, peripherals and cables? Just some things to keep in mind.

I'm kinda surprised you haven't tried to push for an SSD too but, to be honest, a fast HDD with Win7 boots pretty snappy, at least before the drive has been worn in filled up a bit.

I wish your friend the best of luck =)

Peace Out!
Jonny!
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 am «Top