Post your problems, whether they be PC related or other tech woes

How to stop ISPs sucking at Youtube

PostHow to stop ISPs sucking at Youtube by RubberJonny

Advice on how to keep your ISP from choking your buffer speed when streaming online videos - Source.
A few days ago I came across this video and some discussions on Reddit which prompted me to explore further.

A few terminal commands later to reject certain IP addresses and I was back to blazingly fast Youtube streaming (and Twitch.tv). Doing this will cause the stream to take 1-2 seconds to start because of the IP rejection handling, but then you are greeted with a silky smooth, ultra fast experience.

Open up your terminal and run these commands (you will be prompted for the admin password):
Code: Select all
sudo ipfw add reject src-ip 173.194.55.0/24 in
sudo ipfw add reject src-ip 206.111.0.0/16 in

You can check the rules were added by using this command:
sudo ipfw list

Rules can be removed by using each rule ID number from the ‘list’ command above:
sudo ipfw delete [ruleID]

Why do these commands create a better streaming experience? [The ISP] is throttling downloads from servers (CDN) that host cached videos. By rejecting these IP address ranges you will force the video to be served to you directly. This harnesses the full download speed of your internet connection.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:46 pm «Top