Post your problems, whether they be PC related or other tech woes

PSU Troubles

PostPSU Troubles by AngryCrocodile

So, as many of you are aware, I have recently built myself a new pc.

It contains within its hallowed shell:

An i5 2500k CPU
An MSI Z77A loaded up with a measly 8gb of RAM
An ASUS 560ti GPU
An OCZ Agility 3 SSD
An WD HDD
and a DVDR/W.

Now this is all powered by an Antec HCP-750.

However the PSU randomly cuts out.
YAY
My old OCZ Modular Pro 700w PSU does not randomly cut out in this rig.

I have monitored temperatures to make sure it's not overheating. It can cut out at a meager 30oC. So we can probably rule out temperature being the cause for the random cut out.

I have also tried balancing the rails, as this psu has four 12v rails. I have run cpu off of 4, gpu off of 3, HDD,SSD and optical drive of of 2 and the 5 fans off of 1. (The fans are all 12v molex powered...) This doesn't appear to fix the issue. I have also tried rearranging so I am only using 3 of the 4 rails, and then swapped them to see whether it was a specific rail that was the issue. Still got random cut offs

So, at this point I email'd scan and asked them if there was anything else I could do to check. They responded with an RMA form for the psu. I sent the PSU back after a couple of days the RMA status showed that they had tested the PSU and it was faulty. They have since sent me a new one. YAY. It arrived today. YAY. I have installed it. YAY. It is also randomly cutting out. GOD FUCKING DAMN IT.

Anyway running HWMonitor I get this for the new cuttign out psu:

And for the old working psu i get this:

Now I am skeptical of the idea that I have been sent two duff psus, so does anyone have any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong here....?
AngryCrocodile

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:14 pm «Top

PostRe: PSU Troubles by Tirielis

as your old psu works fine in this rig ... sorry to say i think you been sent 2 duffers.
and you see 1 of the temps in your psu is at 60 ... that on its own i wouldnt think is too bad but if its struggling with cooling there chances are its going to get hotter under load.
maybe you want to keep an eye on that while running something that will pull some current.
Tirielis

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Earth
» Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:25 pm «Top

PostRe: PSU Troubles by AngryCrocodile

Impressively I failed to see that temp. That might explain it a bit...
AngryCrocodile

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:31 pm «Top

PostRe: PSU Troubles by Gornil

I was thinking that it might be because of some BIOS failsafe temperature shutdown value that is set far to low. But it's weird that they find a fault when they tested it too. So I think it might be two bad PSU's you have gotten. Chances of it happening is low, but it does happen.
Energizer bunny arrested, charged with battery.

Gornil

National Flag:
Norway
» Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:30 pm «Top