Post your problems, whether they be PC related or other tech woes

Chef's rebuild

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by Renegade

Chef wrote:Cheers Jonny, I know we've often spoke of upgrading my specs but i always forget what you recommend

my current set up is

Itel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series Graphics
AMD sound card
4Gb RAM

what else do you need

As other people have said get yourself a brand new pc instead. I have almost the same specs for my media pc at the moment just get yourself a micro/mini ITX motherboard and a smaller case so that it dosn't take up too much room.
Renegade

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:46 pm «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by Runner

£188 and comes with Assasins Creed 3 which you could ebay - http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-gefor ... 0626&src=3

£240 and has a little more grunt (paying for 384 more CUDA cores) and has AC3 http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-gefor ... 0626&src=3

ImageImage

On the assumption that BF3 is going to be the performance defining game for the next 2 years I'd go for the 660 OC £188. The bump in performance doesn't look good value in moving up to a 660ti (£240) or a 660ti TOP (270) - as ever its a constantly changing market and depends on the deals when you purchase.

(There is always the 560ti 2gb version that shanks bought but the 660 has almost 3 times the cuda cores and newer architecture so I buy in the present not in the past.)
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:37 pm «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by Shanks

i cant complain at all with my graphics card its great although compared to the stick men at 6fps i was use to before anything would seem awesome :P
Shanks

National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:44 pm «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by Renegade

Runner wrote:£188 and comes with Assasins Creed 3 which you could ebay - http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-gefor ... 0626&src=3

£240 and has a little more grunt (paying for 384 more CUDA cores) and has AC3 http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-gefor ... 0626&src=3

I would happily buy that AC3 off you instead of ebay'ing it :P
Renegade

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:22 pm «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by Chef

Renegade wrote:
Runner wrote:£188 and comes with Assasins Creed 3 which you could ebay - http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-gefor ... 0626&src=3

£250 and its yours!
Chef
Dungeon Master

National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm «Top

Chef wrote:
Renegade wrote:

£250 and its yours!

lol in all seriousness though that will save you money's cheffy, worth a punt £15-20 I dunno what its worth but that could help justify a better card or discount the cheaper one.
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:14 pm «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by RubberJonny

Runner wrote:(There is always the 560ti 2gb version that shanks bought but the 660 has almost 3 times the cuda cores and newer architecture so I buy in the present not in the past.)
You do realize that the GPU's performance is reliant upon the CPU; 'extending the life of Chef's current rig' although true enough doesn't mean he'll get enough of a performance boost to justify the expenditure.

@Chef- If you need to update in bits; MB + CPU, GPU + PSU, then everything else.

Peace!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:28 pm «Top

RubberJonny wrote:You do realize that the GPU's performance is reliant upon the CPU; 'extending the life of Chef's current rig' although true enough doesn't mean he'll get enough of a performance boost to justify the expenditure.

I am indeed aware that all computer components are reliant and limited by the spec of the other parts, but chef is experiencing very poor performance in BF3 and has roughly £200 budget, at that price you can't change much without wasting your money if you try and buy multiple components.

Looking at his rig imo the GPU is the highest priority case for an upgrade and the best use of said 200 big ones. Although the card will not reach its full potential on his current cpu it will however up his fps for the meantime and then further boost in performance when the bottle neck is removed with a new cpu/mobo/ram upgrade when the dollars are in :)
Signed Runner

Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:50 pm «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by RubberJonny

Runner wrote:Looking at his rig imo the GPU is the highest priority case for an upgrade and the best use of said 200 big ones.
I both agree and disagree.

@Chef- If you have no way of increasing your budget in a reasonable amount of time then go for it, but wait on it if you can and buy everything (at least; MB, CPU, RAM, GPU and PSU) in one go.
This is the best option for two reasons:
1. Lessens the risk of compatibility issues.
2. The longer you wait often the cheaper things get or you can catch parts when they are on offer.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:59 pm «Top

RubberJonny wrote:
Runner wrote:Looking at his rig imo the GPU is the highest priority case for an upgrade and the best use of said 200 big ones.
I both agree and disagree.

@Chef- If you have no way of increasing your budget in a reasonable amount of time then go for it, but wait on it if you can and buy everything (at least; MB, CPU, RAM, GPU and PSU) in one go.
This is the best option for two reasons:
1. Lessens the risk of compatibility issues.
2. The longer you wait often the cheaper things get or you can catch parts when they are on offer.

Peace Out!
Jonny!

Totally agree with jonny, that is the ideal situation, hopefully you get a lottery win XD
Signed Runner

Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:04 am «Top