Post your problems, whether they be PC related or other tech woes

Chef's rebuild

PostChef's rebuild by Chef

ok, next year I WILL be upgrading my PC, but i really don't know what to do with it.

Its over 5 years old now and so in need of a full overhaul. I want it to run games well, and to be able to do more with the media in my house, primarily streaming films to the TV, plus also possibly intergrating music in several rooms (these projects are currently unknown to Nic).

I'm not sure if overhaulling my current rig would be good enough, or do I need to get a full on new machine, or do i just go and get new shiney bits and put them into said machine.

areas that need attention.

Speed
Graphics
overall storage
sound
connectivity to media
upgrade to Win 7

so Ideas for a rebuild I've already had

upgrade boot disk to SSD
upgrade main storage drive from 500GB to 3TBs
upgrade RAM to 6Gb + (basically stick as much RAM as possible into the blighter)

Things i need advice on
upgrade motherboard (to what? plus processors?)
upgrade Graphics (desperately needed)
decent sound card.

or would it be better to upgrade my old machine to just be a media player, and buy a brand spanking new top of the line model?

advice wanted, bearing in mind my technical knowledge of shiny bits is very basic nowadays and is severely out of date.

thanks

chef
Chef
Dungeon Master

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:18 am «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by Runner

Could you post the details of your current rig and budget as we can all suggest ideal hardware but without this criteria the advice will most likely be of know use to you :)

Off the top of my head I would probably buy all new components, and depending on budget look around the best i5 you can buy with a 660 ti gpu - Jonny will recommend the i5 2500k and I will recommend that everything be from asus :)

Also tech moves so quick that if you are buying it next year a lot could change in the market in the coming months so any suggestions are going to be very theoretical :)

In terms of streaming films/music I'd guess you'd need either a low fat media pc in your front room or a consol/Tv that has access to something like netflix or wat not. iTunes has the best multi room music I've come across but (and with all other systems) the best cost effective solution is to unplug your ipod from one room and move it to the next.

I'd say the rebuild of your pc is one project and the integration of digital film and TV throughout your house is another :) budgets for both will make advice easier to give :)

L
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:06 am «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by Nickers

hmmm so you want all the shinies? or is this just part of your masterplan to install speakers in the bathroom and (hopefully) stop me blowing up speakers quite so frequently....

Also handy hint for the future... if you wanna do secret squirrel stuff don't do it on a forum that I frequent just as much as you :P ;)

Love you!

PS - I think you should use upgraded PC as media tower for the googlebox\music and get yourself a nice shiny new gaming PC

Nic

PPS I realise the first PS should have come after my name in order to be a true PS but I'm being a rebel (plus I forgot to type my name and I didn't want to take the time to move it around.... which in retrospect would have been quicker than typing this second PS but I've written now so it's staying!)

PPPS sorry for the long arse PPS :D
I have been a nerd since long before I could have heard
That bookish girls should look and act a certain way
And I'll still be a geek when I am utterly antique

Nickers

National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:37 pm «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by Chef

i'm thinking of music in bathroom and kitchen,

as i use spotify more than Itunes i'm thinking of ways of running this in different places. Also i have 3tbs of tv and films which a colleague at work wants to give me, but i hate the idea of not watching it on my telly.

one of my guys here has suggested an XBMC box to go into the telly, but i wouldn't mind being able to stream as well.

i is so confused, i'm reaching the point where all technology is indistinguishable from magic.. essentially I'm turning into my Dad

Chef
Chef
Dungeon Master

National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:12 pm «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by RubberJonny

Chef wrote:upgrade to Win 7 - Windows 7 Professional OEM - £120 (Just to save you some cash. You can later buy a full install disk for Nickers' rig)

upgrade boot disk to SSD - 60GB for Boot only - £50
upgrade main storage drive from 500GB to 3TBs - As main drive (games and other important applications): 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drive 7200rpm 64MB - £90/For general storage: 2TB WD Caviar Green Hard Drive 64MB Cache - £80
upgrade RAM - Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz - £30

upgrade motherboard and CPU - Asus P8Z77-V - £120-£180 depending on which incarnation takes your fancy/Intel i5 2500K 3.3GHz - £180
upgrade Graphics - Best to see what's on offer when you are ready to buy.
decent sound card - Little known fact: Integrated Sound Cards are quality in modern MBs. If you are looking to make your old rig into a Media Rig then we can look into it when we know what we're working with (parts and budget).

*Bare in mind all these prices are mostly conservatively rounded and the current real prices will more than likely have dropped by the time you are ready to buy* =)
Chef wrote:Would it be better to upgrade my old machine to just be a media player, and buy a brand spanking new top of the line model?
Yes, yes it would.
Runner wrote:Jonny will recommend the i5 2500k and I will recommend that everything be from asus :)
Yes, yes i will. Also the Asus P8Z77-V.
Runner wrote:Also tech moves so quick that if you are buying it next year a lot could change in the market in the coming months so any suggestions are going to be very theoretical :)
And for that reason i can't recommend a GPU just yet.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:04 pm «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by Chef

Cheers Jonny, I know we've often spoke of upgrading my specs but i always forget what you recommend

my current set up is

Itel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series Graphics
AMD sound card
4Gb RAM

what else do you need
Chef
Dungeon Master

National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:57 pm «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by Runner

Asus P8Z77-V - http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_S ... 55/P8Z77V/
cost - http://www.ebuyer.com/363230-asus-p8z77 ... tx-p8z77-v

i5 3570 - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac ... cleContent
cost - http://www.dabs.com/products/intel-core ... ntent=Q200

asus 660ti - http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDI ... TIDC22GD5/
cost - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-asus ... e+shopping

As I said it depends on budget and also should just look when you intend to actually buy as the landscape is always changing, jonny's right suggesting a gpu to buy for next year is impossible.

budget 40-60 for ram

£50-70 for a psu and use your old case

roughly £500 squid could be closer to 400 if you budget and closer to 600 if you push the boat out

although I do recommend getting a better cpu cooler than the stock but its not essential
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:24 am «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by StuntKid

LOL @ @Nickers

Also a good idea to check prices every now and then on various sites.

Got my i5-3570k £20 cheaper when amazon had a nice price drop (possibly price matching another site) which prompted me to buy it. Waited another 3 weeks for the other components to drop slightly too. :dance: (annoyed when ram dropped another £2 after they arrived! EDIT: just checked again on amazon. It's dropped a further £6 WTF! $*&@£!!!)
StuntKid

National Flag:
Pokemon Island
» Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:43 am «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by Nickers

Stunt it used to be that if you've brought something direct from Amazon and they've dropped the price you can sometimes claim the money back.. it's a bit convoluted but I did it after last Christmas when a load of stuff I brought got dropped in price in January. got about £40 back...

as the pages have changed recently I can't see the old link.. but maybe worth goggling it :)
I have been a nerd since long before I could have heard
That bookish girls should look and act a certain way
And I'll still be a geek when I am utterly antique

Nickers

National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:39 am «Top

PostRe: Chef's rebuild by StuntKid

yeah, my uncle mentioned that to me earlier. Friend got a small refund a couple days back too! Think I shall look into it.

Amazon had another random price match for the i5-3570 - £150!! Gone back up now. But still, what the funk!?
StuntKid

National Flag:
Pokemon Island
» Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:36 am «Top