General forum to talk other topics than games and get to know each other

Them Out of date things made of trees?

PostRe: Them Out of date things made of trees? by AngryCrocodile

For those of you with raging boners for him, Iain Bank's new book (The Hydrogen Sonata) is supposed to released beginning of October...

Edit: Yes, It's a Culture book.
AngryCrocodile

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:43 am «Top

PostRe: Them Out of date things made of trees? by RubberJonny

Valve Presents: The Sacrifice and Other Steam-Powered Stories
For fifteen years, Valve has defined the cutting edge of video games. Now, Valve joins with Dark Horse to bring three critically acclaimed, fan-favorite series to print, with a hardcover collection of comics from the worlds of Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress, and Portal. With over two hundred pages of story, Valve Presents: The sacrifice and other Steam-Powered Stories is a must-read for fans looking to further explore the games they love or comics readers interested in dipping their toes into new mythos!
It can be purchased at Amazon.

Alternatively you can read them online:
Left 4 Dead - The Sacrifice
Team Fortress 2 - The Administrator
Portal 2 - Lab Rat
I enjoyed them all but The Sacrifice is truely brilliant.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:22 pm «Top

PostRe: Them Out of date things made of trees? by Nickers

currently re-reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman a fantastic book and on my now second reading of it I'm picking up so many little nuances that are seemingly throw-away comments early in the book which relate to the overall story :) it's great!

Also picked up "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson (AKA TheBloggess), if you've never visited her site before I recommend taking a look http://thebloggess.com/ she is very witty, completely scatty and for some reason I relate to her a lot!
The book has had me snorting my coffee all over my keyboard and made me cry (nearly both at the same time). Definitely a book to read on the tube if you want to guarantee lots of space around you :D

I'm only about halfway through but it's already in my top 10 books that I've read so far this year.

Nickers
I have been a nerd since long before I could have heard
That bookish girls should look and act a certain way
And I'll still be a geek when I am utterly antique

Nickers

National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:40 pm «Top

Instructions for American Servicemen in Britain, 1942
A fascinating and occasionally hilarious guide written for GIs headed to Britain—then half-ruined by war—in 1942.
The British don't know how to make a good cup of coffee. You don't know how to make a good cup of tea. It's an even swap.
The British are often more reserved in conduct than we. So if Britons sit in trains or busses without striking up conversation with you, it doesn't mean they are being haughty and unfriendly... they don't speak to you because they don't want to appear intrusive or rude.
British money is in pounds, shillings, and pence. The British are used to this system and they like it, and all your arguments that the American decimal system is better won't convince them.
A British woman officer or non-commissioned officer can and often does give orders to a man private. The men obey smartly and know it is no shame. They have won the right to the utmost respect. When you see a girl in khaki or air-force blue with a bit of ribbon on her tunic-remember she didn't get it for knitting more socks than anyone else in Ipswich.
The British have theaters and movies (which they call "cinemas") as we do. But the great place of recreation is the "pub."

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:56 am «Top

In the The Law of Superheroes two lawyers called James Daily and Ryan Davidson do a magnificent job overview of the US legal system that manages to be extremely informative and incredibly entertaining, because, as the title implies, they tour the legal system as it would apply to comic-book superheroes.
Source.

This looks like a fantastic read and i can't wait to get my hands on a copy :D

Blog the book is based upon

The Law of Superheroes is available on Amazon

Peace Out!
Jonny!
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:17 pm «Top

The Black Library, the Warhammer and 40k novel publisher, is introducing the Black Library Classics line with the first titles from three of their most popular series:

First and Only (Gaunt's Ghosts) by Dan Abnett
Trollslayer (Gotrek and Felix) by William King
Nightbringer (Ultramarines) by Graham McNeill

Also available at Games Workshop.

I can't overstate how little understanding the table top games has to do with enjoying the novels. I was reading the 40k books long before i was playing the game and i don't play the Fantasy game at all. Worst case scenario is you have to look up some things on the Lexicanum.
In my opinion the Gotrek and Felix series is one of the best Fantasy genre series ever written and the Gaunt's Ghost series is THE best Sci-Fi series ever. Period.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:02 pm «Top

2000 AD, the British comic book publisher and home of Judge Dredd, has gone 100% DRM-Free!

You can download the 2000 AD app below:
iOS
Android

Peace!
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:32 pm «Top

PostRe: Them Out of date things made of trees? by StuntKid

RubberJonny wrote:2000 AD, the British comic book publisher and home of Judge Dredd, has gone 100% DRM-Free!

You can download the 2000 AD app below:
iOS
Android

Peace!

Dammit! I don't have an iOS or Android device! Guess I'll stick to the webstore.

However, pretty cool to see them do this!
StuntKid

National Flag:
Pokemon Island
» Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:52 pm «Top