General forum to talk other topics than games and get to know each other

Them Out of date things made of trees?

PostRe: Them Out of date things made of trees? by Chef

so tempted to get it read several of his works and really enjoy he's use of imagery and imagination to create the horror. May have to invest
Chef
Dungeon Master

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:29 pm «Top

PostRe: Them Out of date things made of trees? by AngryCrocodile

I'd lend it to you, but you know. Is a fair distance... ;-)

-- Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:28 am --

Actually, his stuff has probably passed into the public domain by now... So may be able to get it online

Yep, went public domain in 2008
AngryCrocodile

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:31 am «Top

PostRe: Them Out of date things made of trees? by Nickers

Croc is the towers of midnight a re-read or a first time? I gave up on the WoT series after about book 6\7 I think... but I've heard good things about the last couple of books with Brandon's input and keep thinking I might try and get them all again, although probably on ebook format, otherwise I'd need more bookshelves....

N
I have been a nerd since long before I could have heard
That bookish girls should look and act a certain way
And I'll still be a geek when I am utterly antique

Nickers

National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:02 am «Top

PostRe: Them Out of date things made of trees? by Chef

we need more book shelves anyway.. i tell ye the books have bred in storage..
Chef
Dungeon Master

National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:21 am «Top

PostRe: Them Out of date things made of trees? by kLoWn

WoT is ok up until about book 10. After that it becomes so unfocussed and takes the story away from Rand which made is boring and frustrating.

Cant believe no one mentioned steve eriksen Malazan books. Everyone needs to read it especially if you like fantasy.

Robin Hood is ok. The assassin books are good and emotional, the forest mage series is in the same vein but lacks the grandeur of the assasin books. Never got into the living ship series.

George Martins, A song of ice and tears is a good read and is very grown up with a lot of rampant sex and poltical intrigue. Its also been turned into a high cost tv production.

I enjoy the Inhertiance series as well as the harry potter books but they arnt really long enough to get into the story.

Raymond E. Feist is another author in the easy to read fantasy genre. His early books are fantastic with the recent ones turning to crap. Start of with the Magician.

All Terry Pratchetts >.> With the best books about the Watch.

Trudi Caravan has some excellent books with my favourite being the black mage series. HAvent read the traitor spy trilogy yet.

James Clemens Banned and banished as well as the God Slayer series are really fun to read.

Demon trilogy by Peter V Brett is very good

A few to many recommendations if you like fantasy!

k
kLoWn

» Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 am «Top

Renegade, my book clollection was bigger than the local libraries sci-fi section in Knutsford! don't know about our new local library that needs to be inviestigated when I get back to the UK :D

is it wrong that one of the things I'm looking forward to most when I get home is unpacking all my books? I like to rearrange my bookshelves every so often to get a fresh lot of books on the middle shelves that are prime reading territory!

oooh Klown :) you reminded me of a couple of good ones there although I've never managed to get into the Malazan series, it's another one I mean to try again but I'm not going to buy the books just yet so will have to wait until I've joined the am library. I love James Clemens books, I think he's quiet an evocative writer and love his writing style

ahh Trudi Caravan is the author of the black magicians trilogy I mentioned in my early post my bad for getting it wrong (I blame lack of sleep and wonky brain), I didn't enjoy the priestess triology as much and haven't tried the traitor spy one yet...

Robin Hobb's assassins triology is one of my all time fav's - going to have to rebuy them soon cause the paperbacks are getting worn out :( I really like the living ships one as well and also the first two books in the Dragon Keepers trilogy. I didn't get on quite so well with the solider son trilogy, found it much harder to get into even though the premise is an interesting one.

I've got game of thrones to read from the GR Martin series, again it's one that I've been meaning to read for ages but haven't got round to yet.

i'd also recommend Brent Weeks Night Angel triliogy and I'm sure I'll think of a couple more over the next few days :D

Too many books not enough time, having no telly and no pc in the van was great cause I got lots of reading done, in new house I have my eye on a special reading area for snuggly comfort reading :D

Croc - don't blame you for not lending books out - I've stopped doing it now cause I keep not getting them back, I've had to buy Anne MacCafferys Freedom Series 3 times now and it's gone missing again..... :(

-- Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:12 am --

TheChef wrote:we need more book shelves anyway.. i tell ye the books have bred in storage..

You say that like it's a bad thing?!
N
xx

Nickers

National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:12 am «Top

S'not that I dont get em back... its more the fact it'd be cheaper to buy then post or drive it up...

Feist is a very good author, only ever read the magician & darkness at sethanon(?)

Never read any Malazan. May investigate...
AngryCrocodile

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:56 pm «Top

AngryCrocodile wrote:S'not that I dont get em back... its more the fact it'd be cheaper to buy then post or drive it up...

humph obviously just my friends that are untrustworthy then :evil:

Nickers

National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:27 pm «Top

You should dose all you books with a radioactive source and then you can track em down...

I thought towers of midnight was alright. Tbf I thought it was the last book as robert jordan only ever wanted 13 books, didn't realise there was a 14th... so was quite disappointed most of the way through as I though he wouldnt be able to finish the story well in the limited text left. then I realised there was another one. This made me happy.
AngryCrocodile

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:39 pm «Top

PostRe: Them Out of date things made of trees? by Runner

i like biff n chip - crazy adventures with that key
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:15 pm «Top