General forum to talk other topics than games and get to know each other

Folding@home

PostFolding@home by RubberJonny

Help Stanford University scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, Parkinson's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer. https://folding.stanford.edu/

Folding@home is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. As of today, the project is using the idle resources of personal computers owned by volunteers from all over the world. More information.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

I, like many of you i'm sure, have experienced the effects off such diseases first hand so to me FAH is not a question of 'why?' but 'why not?' It is simple to use and can be fully optimized allowing you to get the work you need to do done while still contributing to a great cause.

I recognize that we are all primarily gamers and running background applications is not ideal but as gamers we (should) use power efficient PSUs and i know for a fact at least a few of us are guilty of leaving our computers on while we are at work/out so why not have it Fold instead of running a screen saver all day?

You can find out more over at the LinusTechTips forums:
Install Guide and Links
Tips, Tricks and FAQ

Would people be interested in setting up a TBC team? Users and teams earn points and while points do not mean prizes they do entitle you to bragging rights : )

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Sat May 02, 2015 1:55 pm «Top

PostRe: Folding@home by Deadpunk

I do really like the F@H project. When I was in the States I had a headless machine running 4 8800 GTXs 24 hours a day. Afraid I wouldn't really be able to contribute to that level atm due to lack of income but as soon as that changes I'll get some stuff done. Always wanted to set up a bunch of mineral oil cooled fully submerged folding rigs. Mainly cos it would look like something out of a Phillip K Dick novel. Till then I can have it running when I'm not actually using my PC.
I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you
I'm the space invader, I'll be a rock 'n' rollin' bitch for you
Deadpunk

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue May 05, 2015 12:30 pm «Top