General forum to talk other topics than games and get to know each other

losing weight - starting again :(

Postlosing weight - starting again :( by Nickers

so I have had a massive fail since I've been back at work and after managing to lose weight whilst preggers I've managed to put back on most of the weight I lost before I got pregnant :(

I need to start eating healthily again and try and fit in some exercise and thought that by posting here I might get some motivation!

anyone fancy joining me? or come up with novel exercise suggestions that aren't going to wreck my chest and that I can do around working 7 till 5:30 Monday to Thursday and spending time with the wee man!
I have been a nerd since long before I could have heard
That bookish girls should look and act a certain way
And I'll still be a geek when I am utterly antique

Nickers

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:25 pm «Top

PostRe: losing weight - starting again :( by Runner

I think diet is the best thing to change for weightloss, I seem lucky to be able to eat what I want but generally speaking I don't like the things that are bad for me unless they have an alcoholic content.

Of the top of my head below is a short list of things I see other people eat and what I prefer in their place, might be worth trying to sub them out for my alternatives:

Chocolate Bar > Banana
Fizzy drinks > Water (or cordial with water if thats too bland)
Morning Coffee > cereal/fruit/crumpet/toast
Tea > Redbush/green tea
Snacking > 3 meals a day
Fastfood (dominoes) > actual homemade food or at least tescos finest equivilant

Something I like to snack on if I'm hungry coming home from work is carrots/cucumber sticks dipping in humus, I often have a back of crisps or a crumpet or a slice of toast but I wouldn't necessarily recommend those.

To accompany a good diet I guess you could accompany with a little bit of exercise in the home after work. I try and fail regularly to do a little circuit I made up for myself before bed. Its good because it tires me out before bed thus helping me sleep and bar a lack of will power that given evening theres nothing to stop me, no barrier like having to drive to a gym. The things I do center around trying to make myself stronger for football so may not be help full but step ups on your stairs might help out aswell as planking.
http://www.momtastic.com/health/104283- ... s-at-home/
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/plank-exercise

As Stunt alluded to in the banter box dave will have answer rolling around in his noggin that will hopefully be much more use than the poorly written spunk above :)
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:36 pm «Top

we need to turn this into a game, with levelling up :)

I'll try and think of something but I'm rather useless :P
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:38 pm «Top

PostRe: losing weight - starting again :( by StuntKid

Runner wrote:we need to turn this into a game, with levelling up :)

The .:TBC:. Exercise Game? With Challenges and Stats! You're onto something here!

Sign me up!
StuntKid

National Flag:
Pokemon Island
» Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:59 pm «Top

PostRe: losing weight - starting again :( by Deadpunk

Hey Nic, I'm in a similar spot, minus the pregnancy I guess. But I hit 100kg again, which has made me want to get back into shape because round numbers are scary. And it's that concept which is the problem for me and a lot of other people; the idea that being healthy is something that you turn on when you feel you need it. The reality is that success in this area is achieved by finding a healthy lifestyle which can be maintained indefinitely. One of the hardest things about that is the temptation to worry about sticking to some regime or another. Inherent to a lifestyle being maintainable, it must be pleasant and allow for days off when needed. In my opinion, this goal is the important one, as opposed to losing x kilos in y weeks or slimming down for Summer or any of that tired nonsense.

So the question is how to make an initial shift towards that lifestyle. The answer in my case is to start making spreadsheets of calorie intake and kilometers run and weight lifted. That works for me but is time consuming. For most people tracking calories is necessary for a few weeks so that you can get an instinctive feel for your calorie intake, at which point you don't need to track it any more, you just need to be mindful of it.

When specifically looking to lose weight, tracking progress is important for two reasons:

1. So that you do not get discouraged. Because change is gradual we often don't notice it and therefore doubt its existence. When that occurs it is logical to say 'well I'm not getting better living this way, I may as well go back to what I was doing before'. This is one of many traps that we lay for ourselves. So, my suggestion is to weigh yourself once per week and, more importantly, to measure yourself once per week. Good practice for taking body measurements can be found here:

http://www.womens-fitness-tips.com/body ... ments.html

2. So that if your progress stalls you can make changes as necessary.

Be careful not to take the weight measurement to heart. Body weight changes throughout the day for many reasons, and if you start doing more exercise then muscle mass will be added as well. This is why size measurements are much more useful.

I think the most important thing to remember, and I apologise for the incoming pseudo-yoda bullshit, is that people do not give up because they fail, they fail because they give up. If the scale doesn't budge for a couple of weeks it is not a failure. Giving up at that point would be the failure.

As I'm sure you are aware everyone here will support you as much as we can. Love n hugs.

PS if you are looking for more specific diety/exercisey stuff let me know and I will get something together for you.
I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you
I'm the space invader, I'll be a rock 'n' rollin' bitch for you
Deadpunk

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:09 pm «Top

PostRe: losing weight - starting again :( by Deadpunk

https://www.fitocracy.com/
I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you
I'm the space invader, I'll be a rock 'n' rollin' bitch for you
Deadpunk

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:11 pm «Top

Deadpunk wrote:

https://www.fitocracy.com/

I had forgotten about that :)
Signed Runner

Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:28 pm «Top

PostRe: losing weight - starting again :( by Crazyk

StuntKid wrote:

The .:TBC:. Exercise Game? With Challenges and Stats! You're onto something here!

Sign me up!

I second this, though mine more turning flab to tone and fitness.
:dance:
Crazyk

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:37 pm «Top

PostRe: losing weight - starting again :( by Nickers

thanks guys, I think part of my problem was I was so damn pleased with myself for being able to eat a bit more whilst preggers and not suffer with weight going back on that I lost the mindset that I'd got into pre pregancy when I was happy with what we were eating and getting a fair amount of exercise.

When I was off on maternity leave Aiden was a boob monster and I didn't have access to the car during the day so I was walking everywhere (around 10-15 miles a week at a slightly huffed paced often times carrying the wee man in the sling as well) so although I was snacking a lot more (breastfeeding makes you feel so HUNGRY ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!) the weight stabilised and whilst I didn't lose any I also didn't put any on.

however, since I've gone back to work, I've been feeding less as Aiden is having more solid foods, exercising less as I find it difficult to shower some days never mind do anything strenuous and eating more, mainly due to bad habits, partly due to stress making me comfort eat and partly as we're trying to eat differently to before so that we make sure Aiden has enough fat in his diet.

I know most of this is down to my mental attitude and that I need to find what it was that made me start losing weight that February but at the moment the only thing I can think about is that I know I need to be lighter to have a healthy pregnancy so we can have another small person but in the back of my mind is the whole "it took 5 years for Aiden to turn up so why bother stressing about it yet" which is totally the wrong attitude to have.

surprisingly my biggest block last time which was my health anxiety doesn't seem to be playing a huge role in things at the moment as when I get time I will happily walk into town etc without even thinking about it :) so yay me for solving that problem at least!

sorry for the essay think sometimes it helps knowing that I can vent here and you're not going to get all judgy xx

Nickers

National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:04 pm «Top

PostRe: losing weight - starting again :( by Nickers

also since we sold the wee to Jonny we need to buy some bathroom scales so I can weight myself regularly again I'll have to go old school and do a pen and paper plot chart to keep track :D

Nickers

National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:05 pm «Top