General forum to talk other topics than games and get to know each other

Graffiti - Art or Vandalism?

PostGraffiti - Art or Vandalism? by Nickers

sooo as I was walking home from Morrisons last night I noticed that two of the information boards for the local park had been tagged in yellow spraypaint, covering up the information on the boards and thus making them pretty useless.

as I was walking home I started pondering, where do you draw the line, when is graffiti a valid art form in it's own right and when does it serve no purpose except to vandalise.

Whenever I go into big cities and see big detailed tags or murals on the sides of walls I think they are fantastic pieces of art in their own right, and have seriously considered have max tagged by a friend of mine on more than one occasion (multicoloured on purpose rather than by accident ftw) and it makes me a little sad when I see these brilliant vibrant, artistic tags that look to have taken a fair amount of time to produce being covered over by scrappy tags that even I could a better job of producing!

Obviously art is in the eye of the beholder so what do other people thing?

where is the line between graffiti as art and graffiti as mindless vandalism?
Does such a line exist, or in your opinion is all graffiti art or all of it vandalism?

I understand that for a lot of people the art is secondary to the message the graffiti is conveying and it's often associated with gangs etc. and I can also understand why people wouldn't want it on the side of their house or why they try and stop people tagging walls next to railways etc. but for me because I'm not familiar with all the connotations behind the symbolism (although it is something I try and get my head round from time to time) I just see the beauty (or not) in a well executed piece of art...

for me that line definitely does exist and here are some examples of graffiti that in my eyes is worthy of being considered as art:

(image from Puregraffiti.com)

(image from newspaper.il)

as well as one to illustrate my comment on people tagging over something that looks to be pretty epic with spraying skills that are less than my own!

(image from newham.gov.uk)
I have been a nerd since long before I could have heard
That bookish girls should look and act a certain way
And I'll still be a geek when I am utterly antique

Nickers

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:51 am «Top

PostRe: Graffiti - Art or Vandalism? by RubberJonny

As you say this is a tough one. For a start 'art' is the very definition of subjective and, as you have said, there are cultural connotations to consider also. I personally couldn't agree more with you. I love good graffiti or street art as i am now going to call it because our society, in all its ignorance, has deemed graffiti and vandalism one and the same, and i cannot abide the cock and balls scrawled across the bus times window.

That being said i'm a tagger myself. It began when i started blading. It was the done thing for anyone in the extreme sports world you skate somewhere, you leave your mark. Back then i had my own tag (a few in fact) but nothing i would call art just something that if veiwed (you had to be looking if i'm honest) wasn't meant to offend or obtrude just let people know i (the tagger from their perspective) was happy to have been there.
Since that time i've not only scaled down my tag to simple initials but i have completely kept myself free of permanent markers when i go out because i have a compulsion to leave my mark wherever i go now. I don't even think about it or notice i'm doing it half the time (Nickers may have noticed the small "RJ" scribbled a top her PC tower, maybe that's why she assumed i'd have input in this topic. It's written in pencil if you wish to remove it). For me it's not about letting others know 'RJ woz ere' it's just for me. So i know that a part of me is in that place.
Although that can seem like a very justifiable reason to leave a small, inoffensive, unobtrusive mark on a lamp post, fence, half pipe, etc, i've always viewed things from a perspective of "what if everyone did it?" and then it's no longer a small mark it's an entire surface blanketed with "RJ" and that certainly is offensive and obtrusive.

In all i have to say street art should be (and often is) treated as temporary, whether it's the pavement artists using chalk, the tagger who will inevitable be tagged over or the simple erosion of time. I believe that street artists should be more considerate of where they do their work even a nice looking work is still someone writing their name on someone else's property. There should be more legal street art spots in the UK but at the same time part of street art is the environment if an artist feels their work needs to go in a certain spot nowhere else will do. Banksy.

This of course is all referring to the UK if we were to consider other cultures there are wholly different connotations such as in the Middle East where almost all street art is Banksy-esque being all about making bold political statements rather than writing your name with squiggly letters.

tl;dr - Just because it looks good doesn't mean you can do it anywhere and everywhere. If it looks shit don't do it anywhere and everywhere. If it looks shit and you do it over someone else's work that does look good you need to be shot.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:58 pm «Top

Pompeii Graffiti.
Romans were funny bastards:
  • Gaius Valerius Venustus, soldier of the 1st praetorian cohort, in the century of Rufus, screwer of women.
  • Celadus the Thracian gladiator is the delight of all the girls.
  • Theophilus, don’t perform oral sex on girls against the city wall like a dog.
  • Two friends were here. While they were, they had bad service in every way from a guy named Epaphroditus. They threw him out and spent 105 and half sestertii most agreeably on whores.
  • Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!
  • Secundus likes to screw boys.

Just incase you are tired of all the smut:
  • If anyone does not believe in Venus, they should gaze at my girl friend.
Awwwh.

Pompeii is an exception to my previous post about how graffiti is a temporary art form but at the same time it can be used as an argument in favour of street art as it gives us an insight in to the culture of Pompeii.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:54 pm «Top

PostRe: Graffiti - Art or Vandalism? by Nickers

I must admit that when I went to Egypt I always tried to find some examples of ancient graffiti on the temples, got examples on my PC of stuff from Romans to Napoleonic soldiers :)

Nickers
I have been a nerd since long before I could have heard
That bookish girls should look and act a certain way
And I'll still be a geek when I am utterly antique

Nickers

National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:22 am «Top

Sofles, a graffiti art group from Australia, got access to an abandoned warehouse in Brisbane right before it was demolished. “Limitless” by Ironlak Films is a time lapse of the spectacle of modern art they created.
- Source.
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:32 pm «Top