Medal of Honour Server
3%
Modern Warfare 2 Black Ops Server
8%
Other (post below)
3%

Total votes : 76

PostRe: What server would u like us to have? by Nickers

I've gotta say I agree with most of the points RJ is making... already over the last month or so i've got the impression that the website and CS:S server have been less active.. Jasper I'm sure you can correct me if i'm wrong by looking at the traffic stats but that's my impression.
I think it's important to remember that the only reason a lot of us still play CS:S is for the fun of playing with our friends, hell the only reason I started playing CS:S was because I enjoyed the banter on the old NBR server! games have moved on alot over the last 8(?) years and I've really noticed it since we've started playing L4D2 regularlly, the only reason Chef goes on the CSS server at all is to catch up with people and have a laugh - he hates playing the actual game nearly as much as RJ does :P
I'm very surprised by how inactive the TF2 server has been the last couple of weeks, I woulda thought that everyone with the game would have been on there populating it for the first month or so to try and get some new regulars (as we did with the CSS server which did give us quite a few new regulars to the server and some have followed onto the website)

I'm not really sure what point i'm trying to make here now tbh cause i've started rambling.. BUT I think we need to look long and hard at the mid to long term goals of the community, although I love the idea of a dedicated L4D2 server, I'm not sure how it would work in terms of introducing new people to the community, because you just join the best available server at the time AFAIK, and due to the fundemental differences in game play, it's not like CSS (and I guess TF2?!?!) where you can drop on and off and pick which server you play on, however, a CoD server could work, Chef has a server that he likes to go on regularly on CoD so I can see the merit of that.

I hope some of that makes sense and comes across as constructive rather than moaning! I love all you guys and don't want this to fall on it's arse like NBR
:wub:
N
xxxx
I have been a nerd since long before I could have heard
That bookish girls should look and act a certain way
And I'll still be a geek when I am utterly antique

Nickers

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Ninja Island
» Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 am «Top

PostRe: What server would u like us to have? by Runner

Yer as much as I'd love a L4D2 Server it would be something that would benifit a small proportion of this communuity and would not draw any new members to TBC like a CS:S or TF2 server could (as the L4D2 server would be on a password set up) so for the moment i'm leaving it on the back burner...

I rambled a bit so put the main chunck in spoiler - Basically the short end of it is that the TF2 freturnity needs to get proactive if they want TF2 to survive and grow. When we released the CS:S server I amoungst many of you made it my mission to play ever night I could in an effort to establish the server to the public and attract new regulars to add the server to their favourites - that has been successful and is still improving - but TF2 needs this from its users who I will PM :)

[spoiler]TF2 server is in it's infant stage atm, its not like the CS:S server where we had a big group of people waiting for the new server after NBR; this TF2 server is starting a fresh trying to draw in an audience and that will take time. Having said that it is not recieving the support it needs. I am tactifully taking a back seat on TF2 as I understand I don't play enough CS:S as it is. So at the moment I have been avoiding it as I wish not to drain the CS:S server of all its players to populate the TF2 Server as this would be counter productive.

The only way the TF2 server is going to get an audience is through Regular Players in on a daily basis at a regular time... When new players joing the server they will add it to their favourites but if no one is in the server the next day they are hardly likely to try and get it going by them selfs... Now I don't wish to encourage all of us to flock to the TF2 server every night because TF2 should stand on its on feet; but by that statement I don't want to discourage CS:S players from playing TF2 - Play what you want :) (man now I'm rambling)

Basically servers cost money we all know that and we are doing very well at keeping this affordable, but in keeping it affordable and cost effective, in a respouncible manor that doesn't bankrupt us, means we have to build slowly (unless I win the Lottery - then its dedicated Servers all round). Now ideally I look forward to a time when we have a number of game servers and oodles of members on the forum but to achieve that it has to be one server at a time.

CoD I have avoided because it is updated and sequelled quicker than most can shake a stick at it... and at £40 a go its mental; its hard to pick a game that is a) popular with this user base and b) gonna last more than a year.

TF2 got the green light because it was the seconded voted non CS:S game that this poll voted for. I love a bit of GG server but it would clash with the community server being the same game it would divide the user base; TF2 is different to CS:S and will hopefully attract different players :) I'm happy for more servers in the future but exactly that... in the future - when TF2 is no longer an enfant and is healthy active. Once TF2 has 24 slot holders and a healthy 6 months under its belt then we can look at another server - ofc having said that if 10 non slot holder players preposed a server they wish to run then this could be looked at; but im all about keeping this sustainable :)[/spoiler]
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:07 pm «Top

And Jonny you make good points and I understand where your coming from, im just being causious and build steadily, but maybe thats too slow... i'll ponder more and talk to you later bout it :D
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:29 pm «Top

PostRe: What server would u like us to have? by Gweggles

I started a long response, so here it is in short (it was longer).

I populate the server when I can. I haven't seen it populate otherwise. When I do join and invite people it does become active. Sparkeh's group of friend do help here. To try retain players I always say hello and send them an invite to join the steam group. I do this with CSS, I also invited everyone from the NBR steam group and most of the active players by using HLX Stats.

It would help if the others that wanted a TF2 server dived into the server to spark people joining. For people to have a good impression we need people to say hello when new players join. It also helps if more people become active on the forum.

There's a strategy that other communities employ to gain new members (and an active forum) that we have never done. But I believe it's something that Magic did when he started NBR. He welcomed new people, he also showed that he needed admins. Advertising that we require admins does a couple of things (correct me if you think otherwise). Players may feel that if there's a chance of becoming an admin, then there is something to work towards. i.e. A reason to join the server often, a reason to be active on the forum and a reason to a be a part of the community. Once NBR had established itself, it was more of a case of if you have a slot and you have been around for a while and you have been a part of the community then you were rewarded with admin, that is possibly what we have carried on.

This is the reason for the @TBC suggestion I have made. I would also make the suggestion of giving current and new members something to work towards (if that makes sense).

To illustrate this idea (again, correct me if I'm wrong) when Shanks first joined NBR he probably wanted to wear the tag (something to work towards). So he put effort into giving feedback and joining the server when it was empty. This was recognized and he was the first person to wear the tag that didn't buy a slot.

So to do this I would make a post and give members a clear idea of how they can progress to wearing @TBC or .:TBC:. and admin privileges.
Gweggles

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:40 pm «Top

PostRe: What server would u like us to have? by Renegade

Gweggles wrote:This is the reason for the @TBC suggestion I have made. I would also make the suggestion of giving current and new members something to work towards (if that makes sense).

To illustrate this idea (again, correct me if I'm wrong) when Shanks first joined NBR he probably wanted to wear the tag (something to work towards). So he put effort into giving feedback and joining the server when it was empty. This was recognized and he was the first person to wear the tag that didn't buy a slot.

So to do this I would make a post and give members a clear idea of how they can progress to wearing @TBC or .:TBC:. and admin privileges.

Good point there, I'll add it to the Tf2 server advertisements
Renegade

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:45 pm «Top

yer point proven and recieved gweggles, sdmin advertising and what not is deffinatly positive idea - i'll try and put my L4D2 fix on the back burner and get on the TF2 a bit to help the boost to you guys, but yer your right the main point is to welcome people and invite them to the steam group - a job for admins and regular memebers xx
Signed Runner

Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:30 pm «Top

PostRe: What server would u like us to have? by Shanks

yeah the problem with counterstrike is that its now a very old game we all play far bettwer games and only reaosn we play it is because its the game we all have so we can keep haivng a laugh with each other. bit like what nick sed about chef.

gweg is right about the people would join more and carry coming abck if they have somethign to work to. one reason why stats are a good thing as such.

(i didnt want the tag tbh gwegg :P all i wanted was to play and have a laugh. but the principle of it was more or less the same)
i will admitt now though that i dont have the mentallity and wil to sit on the server for 3-4 maps playing against bots anymore or the time to be frank but when i have chance i still try and start to populate the server.

but if we could work out some sort of encouragement for player to start up to populate the server it would help resolve this issue. i dont know about TF2 as i dont have it but i know the css issue does also lye with the fact of how old the game is. but if everyone in the community actaully tryed to populate the server now and then it would be fine but i know for a FACT that there are many people that sitt there waiting for someone else to populate the server first. (same problem with NBR) so i say to them people grow a pair and try populating yourself and help the community instead of just waiting and relying on others to do it!!!

as for the L4D thing cant really see the point in getting one as we only play 1 or 2 big full games of memmbers a week max. also they need more planning unlike tf2 and css which are pretty much swithc on and play games. it seems to be more of a novelty sevrer to have for the odd now and then.
Shanks

National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:40 pm «Top

PostRe: What server would u like us to have? by Kakashi

the tf2 server is up? :O
Kakashi

» Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:15 pm «Top

PostRe: What server would u like us to have? by thetrooper

Kakashi wrote:the tf2 server is up? :O

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=375
You take my life but I'll take yours too
You fire your musket but I run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back.

[img=center]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW8J-yDR6ylK-bH250xyOF0uJClLETJZq4nlNiAXH5VqAJoa5K[/img]

thetrooper

» Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:29 pm «Top

PostRe: What server would u like us to have? by RubberJonny

Just a thought but how do the HoN servers work? I know only a limited few of us play the game but MMO players seem keen on communities and TBC could spark alot of interest as many of them are bound to play other games too. We got a HoN guy in the banner (the Yeti looking motherfucker?) so why not try to draw some of those guys over? If we can't have a server then maybe there would be some other way to spread the word of TBC to HoN uses and give them something they want. I don't know a damn thing about the game hence how vague i'm being but hopefully Pord or Zetoc could be more specific as to the needs of a HoN community if we could achieve such a thing at all :)

Again just a thought
Jonny
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:44 pm «Top