Here You Can Share Your Ideas On How To Improve Or Change Anything On The Website

Please Report All Issues With The website here

PostRe: Please Report All Issues With The website here by Runner

Ok guys here is a sneak peak of an alpha build of the new TBC website, it really is in its infancy so theres going to be a lot of things you notice that don't look right, for example that welcome statement has yet to be proof read and is just something I scribbled down as a placeholder.

I just wanted to share some progress and potentially get you guys excited about the updated site thats in developement between me and jasperman:
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-06-18 at 15.54.04.png
Alpha Build 18/06/13
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:59 pm «Top

PostRe: Please Report All Issues With The website here by RubberJonny

Where... where is the forum part? Is that a sample 'About' page or is that intended to be the home page, or is it a simply a sample of every thing?

As much as i'm still not 100% with the current TBC banner and shield i do prefer it to plain text.
I do like the idea of a game banner for our server sub forums.
I like the Twitter stream and embedded video.
The collapsible chat windows will need to be reined in a bit if not combined with the forum itself.

I'm excited to see something new but i hope we won't lose functionality to flashy designs. I'd rather you add to a plain website rather than neaten up a flashy website over a long period of time. After all Jasper and yourself are very busy and the current site was not much of a leap from the original yet it took quite some time to work out the kinks.

Look forward to seeing more.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:26 pm «Top

The picture is of the beginnings of the splash/homepage, it will host some flashy shit like the banners, but also will give a broad view news feed of everything from across the site, it looks bare for now as the rest of that site is yet to exist :)

Theres a lot of ongoing back end work in integrating the forum which Jasper is making good head way on (albit being held back by mod developers) but when theres something to show on that side of things I'll be sure to post here :)

I'm spending a lot of time making the website fixed width for desktops/tablets and then adaptive for mobiles and the chat is one of the next things to attack - I'm a css munching machine atm.

The banner is set to work well across different devices but ofc I can try and make a more elaborate one for desktops, at the moment I am quite enjoying the game banners cycling below and am wary of making the banner to competitive in its richness - once I have more of the site working I can revisit the banner :)

Glad you like the twitter feed and the youtube box, both need visual tweaks but happy to hear the idea has legs :)

I know its not much atm but there will be more on its way :) so watch this space I guess :)
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:40 pm «Top

PostRe: Please Report All Issues With The website here by Jasperman

RJ what functionality are you worried about losing?

This update is also more for the admin side of things as well as an overall improvement to site features and look:-D
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

Raging Goblin wrote:He raged at the world,
at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:21 pm «Top

Jasperman wrote:RJ what functionality are you worried about losing?
Primarily i don't want to lose the current site layout. More importantly i don't want to lose the actual forum to a bunch of (for lack of a better term) nonsense. The forum should be the primary focus of the home page as it is now.
Runner wrote:The picture is of the beginnings of the splash/homepage, it will host some flashy shit like the banners, but also will give a broad view news feed of everything from across the site, it looks bare for now as the rest of that site is yet to exist :)
Based on the above quote it is exactly what i dread, but, of course, i cannot form an accurate critical opinion of the potential layout of the website from this one screen dump.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:00 pm «Top

PostRe: Please Report All Issues With The website here by Jasperman

A portal page was always meant to be developed and many were but never finished, what you see is part of those unfinished portal pages, similarly the forum will still remain the most used part of the site. But just like previous iterations you will be able to navigate to other features, if you like or even only navigate to the forum.

The new website will also give other benefits from an administration point of view, reduce the workload with maintaining the site, while maximising features. As well as streamlining stuff that just isn't quite right in our eyes.

But yes you can assume that there will be a home(portal) page which will give updated information and there will also be a more streamlined forum.
All features currently available will be available in some form and similarly there may be old or new features reintroduced. These are still pie in the sky so to say but our main aim is not to lose anything.

We are also looking at working to get the whole site to work on mobile devices as well as desktops. This is no small feat and is lacking in the current website.

So far the vibe I get is a more professional website and a much smoother and better one and its still missing nearly all features.

The chat system is getting adapted by us for us as usual so what you currently see with the chat will not be the final iteration.

Overall this screenshot would not even be considered alpha in my eyes, more of a prototype. But all in all I believe we are headed in a very good direction.

We will of course give you updates as we go and request as much feedback as possible. It is greatly appreciated. :-)
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

Raging Goblin wrote:He raged at the world,
at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:24 am «Top

RubberJonny wrote:
Runner wrote:The picture is of the beginnings of the splash/homepage, it will host some flashy shit like the banners, but also will give a broad view news feed of everything from across the site, it looks bare for now as the rest of that site is yet to exist :)
Based on the above quote it is exactly what i dread, but, of course, i cannot form an accurate critical opinion of the potential layout of the website from this one screen dump.

Peace Out!
Jonny!

Literally all that is happening is that the forum will be in a website, it will still be the same forum doing the same things, the structure and function of the forum will not change. I will be applying a new css style to the forum (that would have had to happen to this build anyway). The new style will be laid out in the same way as the current but it will adapt to width changes for mobile use.

Everything else is added content that is independent to the forum, users that don't want to use the extra shit, like the splash page, can quite happily bookmark the forum link in their web browser and happily never visit the other stuff. The only thing that could rationally annoy someone is that the banner will be linked to the splash page, but this is the only very minor draw back I can think of to your user experience and one easily negated by a minor adaptation of your browsing habits to click a different link.

hopefully have more to show you soon :) this width responsive bullshit takes ages to tweak :P
Signed Runner

Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:04 pm «Top

May i make a request? With regard to the forum's compatibility with mobile devices you are aiming to achieve could the posted user information be kept to a minimum?

Fig A.
Fig A..jpg
Far too much unused space.
I believe that additional user details are unnecessary and as shown above can lead to a lot of wasted space resulting in a longer scroll time for the user which would become much more apparent on a mobile device.

I would suggest keeping solely the Avatar and Username as that is all the information truly needed, and i always go to the user's profile page if i wish to contact them or want any additional information.
You may also want to think about limiting or removing user Signatures.

Thank you for your time.
- Jonny
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:15 pm «Top

RubberJonny wrote:May i make a request? With regard to the forum's compatibility with mobile devices you are aiming to achieve could the posted user information be kept to a minimum?

Fig A.
Fig A..jpg
I believe that additional user details are unnecessary and as shown above can lead to a lot of wasted space resulting in a longer scroll time for the user which would become much more apparent on a mobile device.

I would suggest keeping solely the Avatar and Username as that is all the information truly needed, and i always go to the user's profile page if i wish to contact them or want any additional information.
You may also want to think about limiting or removing user Signatures.

Thank you for your time.
- Jonny

Totally agree this is one of the things that will be addressed :) theres too many mods on this forum, and the user details are a sea of clutter that I agree need to be scrapped :)
Signed Runner

Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:18 pm «Top

PostRe: Please Report All Issues With The website here by Trevor Hanley

When going to "Edit Account Settings" in the UCP I get this error

Fatal error: Class 'phpbb_gallery' not found in /home4/brienmu1/public_html/TotalBanter/includes/ucp/ucp_gallery.php on line 31
I'm a poo

Trevor Hanley

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
National Flag:
United Arab Emirates
» Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:21 pm «Top