A place to rant about windows 8 GUI

Windows 8 Debate

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by Jasperman

Runner wrote:lol yer im just trolling, need to clean instal my pc soon so im gonna run the release client for a bit and see what its like to live with before the discounts end in january - still dont agree with alot of the gestures but ill give it a run for its money

im thinking of restarting with a clean install myself :)
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

Raging Goblin wrote:He raged at the world,
at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Ireland
» Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:11 pm «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by Runner

Imo w8 would need a touch pad like the logitexh T650 to make the os ui user friendly - looks like a cluster fuck for a mouse

http://mobile.logitech.com/en-us/mice-p ... 0-gestures
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:35 pm «Top

Runner wrote:Imo w8 would need a touch pad like the logitexh T650 to make the os ui user friendly - looks like a cluster fuck for a mouse

http://mobile.logitech.com/en-us/mice-p ... 0-gestures

Its not that bad once you get used to it :) keyboard shortcuts are friends ( i use these anyways hahah)

Also i've been toying with the idea of hooking my kinect up to it :)
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:24 pm «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by Shanks

Christ i would be screwed then i dont use short cuts on keyboard at all i can barely use the thing to type.
Shanks

National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:14 pm «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by RubberJonny

Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:36 am «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by Crowmart

Alright so I installed Windows 8 Pro two days ago and I thought I'd share my experience with you.

Initially I wanted to commit mass genocide.
Installing my motherboard, audio card, mouse and keyboard drivers was a clusterfuck. Some things only installed half way, leaving nice little dumps in the registry and sometimes sending me to blue screen of death (which has been redesigned with a nice enfuriating format that seems to want to trivialize your problems, see link )

The Modern UI (or TIFKAM) is useless. It really is, it servers no purpose. It's a full screen interface with little squares that take you to your programs. If you take away the fancy parallax scrolling and the live updating tiles etc, it is EXACTLY the same thing as having icons on your desktop. It's the exact same concept. Personally I don't like having icons on my desktop, which is why I used the start menu, but now my start menu has been replaced my a second desktop with icons. It's a ridiculous idea.
And it could all have been fixed by providing the Modern UI as an option whilst installing.

All the Modern UI apps are useless, too. There is no reason one would ever use the Modern UI browser, which is limited to either full screen, minimized, or squashed in the left or right third of your screen, when you can just use the browser on your desktop which is a normal ass window which you can manipulate and configure and mess with how you see fit. The mail app is useless, fullscreen only, no search function, only keeps your recent mails. The Bing search app doesn't let you open different tabs, and if you're not using Internet Explorer all it does is take you back to the desktop, open your browser and link you to the search result. The messenger app has no reason to exist. This goes on for every Modern UI app. They're flashy but not very practical. I opened all of them, played with them for a bit and then uninstalled the ones that allowed themselves to be uninstalled.

But I didn't want to give up so I decided to use the reset function to revert back to a completely clean installation of Windows 8 and try installing all my drivers again.
After clicking on reset and going through the "yes whatever just go" windows and options, it went to a screen with the new Windows logo that said "Resetting... Please wait"
This took 4 hours. Which is longer than what it would have taken for me to manually format the hard drive, install windows 7 and then upgrade to windows 8. But whatever, at least it did it itself.

HOWEVER

After it finished I tried installing my drivers again, this time trusting the windows 8 compatibility thing which searched for Windows 8 versions of the drivers. This was annoying and brilliant at the same time, because it managed to find Windows 8 versions for drivers which I couldn't find through google after hours of searching.
Installing my wireless adapter was a particular pain. If anyone has Netgear WN111v2 adapter let me know and I'll run you through the horrible process of getting it to work. But at least it worked in the end.

As far as the Modern UI and the lack of start menu goes, there are plently of start menu replacements available. I tried a few, including Classic Shell, but the best one has to be Start 8. It gives you options to customize every little aspect you can imagine, and as default it adds a traditional start menu with all the functionality of the Windows 7 one, but with a Windows 8 style. It fits right in. It can all be changed to whatever style you prefer though, and you can even choose to set the Modern UI start screen to behave like a traditional start menu, as a small window in the bottom right corner, which is brilliant.
As annoying as it is to have to install a third party program to fix Windows, it makes the whole thing a joy to use.

After you iron out all the initial problems, Windows 8 is great. I'm liking it a lot more than Windows 7. And I'm the guy who walks around with a Windows 7 was my idea T-Shirt.

Initial driver problems were to be expected with any brand new OS. Once Logitech, Asus, Creative, etc. release Windows 8 drivers it won't be an issue. And Windows seemed pretty competent at finding the correct drivers on its own, even ones that apparently didn't exist.

The Modern UI is a pain initially but if you download a start menu replacement it switches from a burden to a nice little secondary start menu you never have to use.

It's also really fast, and I'm not having any problems running games with Steam or anything of the sort.
It is Windows at the end of the day, so you can get rid of the stuff you don't like and add whatever you want. I don't really think the Windows Market will have that much of an impact either. At the moment it's practically empty.

I think it's worth upgrading while it's cheap. The offers end at the end of January I think.
Last edited by Crowmart on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crowmart

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
National Flag:
Saudi Arabia
» Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:16 pm «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by Runner

PedroFromHell wrote:And it could all have been fixed by providing the Modern UI as an option whilst installing.

Thats the exact anger I have for W8, Apple's closed loop is annoying but they at least let you choose to ignore new features on osx. Just about to try the preview my self this weekend and will try a few days of vinila before using start8.

Out of interest do you have 1 or 2 monitors? I'm hoping to have the Modern UI relegated to my smaller second monitor.

Cheers for the review, very helpful
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:17 pm «Top

I only have one, but as far as I've read you're able to have the Modern UI in one monitor and the desktop in the other. Using a second monitor does seem to be easier, they've added quite a few more options and even included a way to manage them from the charms bar.
But anyway if you download Start8 (or something similar) you won't have a need to ever use the Modern UI.
At the moment I have the Modern UI screen set to only come up when I press the windows key, and so far have only found occassion to open it when I've been showing the new shiny start screen to someone . Otherwise I just use the standard start menu which also lets you launch all the Modern UI apps. I could go my entire Windows 8 life without ever having to open the Modern UI start menu again.

I'd compare it to the way you can switch through running programs on the Aero theme with Vista and Windows 7 by pressing the windows key. Looks pretty and shiny, but there's no reason to ever use it when you can just alt+tab.

EDIT:
You know what I hate? That little loading animation, with the dots spinning in a circle, but they don't spin evenly, when they reach the top they purposely stall. And on the third spin they disappear and start in a different position.
It's killing me. It's really killing me.
Crowmart

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
National Flag:
Saudi Arabia
» Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:55 pm «Top

Hey Pedro, Thanks for the thorough review. Personally I'm having the opposite experience than you. Yes at the start when i first installed I had to verify one or two games or make punkbuster run in compatibility mode. But overall im enjoying the new experience. I would even be so far tempted to say I prefer. I've completely started using Modern UI. Online time im not in there is to watch movies or play some games.... (Yes ive got some app games and im enjoying them).
Overall I've had a good experience and i find myself in work (with vista yuck!) attempting windows 8 shortcuts because i feel they are easier.

Browser. I had chrome working in the Modern UI, but I was messing with a load of settings and messed it up. Now I know it wouldnt take long for me to fix. I generally use full screen on all my applications. Except when some serious code and multitasking is going on... in which case I'd be using the desktop (or a remote linux machine hahah).

Pity you are having a bad experience on it, but like you I've found a load of things great now that its all set up.
I've windows 8 pro as well and personally im having very little issues. Let me know a few other things that youve had trouble with.. see if ive had trouble too.
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:44 am «Top

Well, like I said, I prefer Windows 8 myself. I'm not having a bad experience at all, I'm loving it.
My initial issues were driver related and that's expected of any OS.
I still think the Modern UI is a step back in productivity if it's your only interface option, but if you use the old start menu system then the Modern UI can be a great way to complement it.

Sorry if my review (if you want to call it that) wasn't clear enough. I was really only trying to express that despite an initial rough start, Windows 8 is worth the upgrade in my opinion.
Crowmart

National Flag:
Saudi Arabia
» Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:39 pm «Top