A place to rant about windows 8 GUI

Windows 8 Debate

PostWindows 8 Debate by Runner

Well I've been looking into 8 with an eye to purchase purly because I am still annoyed at myself for missing out on the healthy discounts that W7 début. Apart from the regret of not saving money on W7 my interest and enthusiasm for W8 seems to end almost instantly.

I'm going to install the release preview and give it a go for myself but I just not sure I can get past the hatred for being forced to use the metro UI - I just think its so short sighted to not allow me the choice to use the product to my liking, feel like its buying a car where you not allowed to drive at certain speeds...

Found this video a good overview of 8, as I said if/when I get round to installing it myself I'll (rant) post my findings but these guys do a pretty good job of summing it up - if not in hilarious accents.

I think what's most disappointing is that all the modifications to the desktop, bar the removal of the start bar and opaque window frames look largely positive build on 7.

The change to the right click and mouse navigation is immensely stupid and the points sighted in the video above are so obvious that you really do wonder if Microsoft lost some form of bet and their punishment is to pass such glaring errors in a 'finished' product.

I'm interested but I can't see that I will purchase until they allow the desktop features to become the dominate half of the Gemini set-up, how hard is it to give people a choice, I'd like metro to run in my desktop and for the desktop not instead of it.

Thoughts?
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:37 am «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by StuntKid

Video pretty much summed it all up! Some interesting features but they designed too much of if with tablets in mind.
StuntKid

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Pokemon Island
» Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:42 am «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by RubberJonny

Runner wrote:... feel like its buying a car where you not allowed to drive at certain speeds...
lol wut?
Runner wrote:Thoughts?
I opened a bunch of tabs with articles supporting my distaste for Windows 8 then realized the video you embedded covers a good amount of the negatives.

Granted at £50 it's pretty cheap but it's also shit. Pay the extra £50 or so for Win7 Professional OEM and get an OS that will last you as long as XP. Or get Linux and tut at sheepeople using Windows* ;)

*Fuck Linux and Unix users. Admit you are just using it to be different! They are shit (for average users).

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:23 am «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by Chef

it seems you can turn off a lot of the win 8 bad features, which then in turn makes in Win 7, i'm not going to win 8
Chef
Dungeon Master

National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:39 am «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by Tirielis

RubberJonny wrote:
*Fuck Linux and Unix users. Admit you are just using it to be different! They are shit (for average users).

Peace Out!
Jonny!

i still disagree to that statement .... linux is shit for gamers, fine for most other things
Tirielis

National Flag:
Earth
» Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:04 am «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by Jasperman

RubberJonny wrote:*Fuck Linux and Unix users. Admit you are just using it to be different! They are shit (for average users).

I like Linux and Unix...... But yes they are shit for average users

Overall I've done a lot of research and checking up on windows 8. I personally will be buying the upgrade.

Yes there is a steep learning curve and yes there is a few hinky things.

But personally I think they have done a good job :)

Also Chef it may be beneficial for you to do it for Nic's comp......
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

Raging Goblin wrote:He raged at the world,
at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:16 am «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by Runner

Chef wrote:it seems you can turn off a lot of the win 8 bad features, which then in turn makes in Win 7, i'm not going to win 8

Thats why I want to run the preview install to see that for myself; if its the same as 7 then it is worth buying (if you don't already have 7) because it is cheaper by a long way.

Supposedly the full retail copy of W8 Pro is $69.99 until 31st january 2013 - unless W7 is dramatically reduced in price then the W8 price point is very appealing. Not to mention if you can turn all the new ui off to have it like 7 then there is still advantage as the security and speed of W8 is superior to W7, but until I have done it for myself I have no trust in being able to turn the shit off.

Jasperman wrote:...Yes there is a steep learning curve and yes there is a few hinky things.

But personally I think they have done a good job :) ...

I dunno, some of the changes have good merit and have worked well but I think that the majority of changes are massive steps backward for anyone using a mouse and it really does make me question what they are playing at, seems as if they are trying to undo a decade of computer user interface development?

The right click change is so massively conter productive on a desktop computer, moving the mouse to the bottom left and right corners to navigate to menus will be a fucking nightmare if you have two screens (I had this with expose on a mac - but I could turn it off), the window in window bullshit only allowing you a third of the screen instead of something customisable or as basic a choice as 50/50 divide between windows... the list continues.

My only explanation for their approach is that they invision replacing the mouse on desktop computers over the next few years, something I just don't buy into.

I'm worried about buying W8 because I don't want to encourage microsoft to continue this stance which I think is degrading desktop computing - can't see W8 in any work/productive based computer.
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:00 pm «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by Chef

I think MS are trying to predict that we'll be moving away from mouse/keyboard layouts to more touchy feely solutions.
Chef
Dungeon Master

National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:50 pm «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by Jasperman

Runner wrote:
Chef wrote:it seems you can turn off a lot of the win 8 bad features, which then in turn makes in Win 7, i'm not going to win 8

Thats why I want to run the preview install to see that for myself; if its the same as 7 then it is worth buying (if you don't already have 7) because it is cheaper by a long way.

Supposedly the full retail copy of W8 Pro is $69.99 until 31st january 2013 - unless W7 is dramatically reduced in price then the W8 price point is very appealing. Not to mention if you can turn all the new ui off to have it like 7 then there is still advantage as the security and speed of W8 is superior to W7, but until I have done it for myself I have no trust in being able to turn the shit off.

Jasperman wrote:...Yes there is a steep learning curve and yes there is a few hinky things.

But personally I think they have done a good job :) ...

I dunno, some of the changes have good merit and have worked well but I think that the majority of changes are massive steps backward for anyone using a mouse and it really does make me question what they are playing at, seems as if they are trying to undo a decade of computer user interface development?

The right click change is so massively conter productive on a desktop computer, moving the mouse to the bottom left and right corners to navigate to menus will be a fucking nightmare if you have two screens (I had this with expose on a mac - but I could turn it off), the window in window bullshit only allowing you a third of the screen instead of something customisable or as basic a choice as 50/50 divide between windows... the list continues.

My only explanation for their approach is that they invision replacing the mouse on desktop computers over the next few years, something I just don't buy into.

I'm worried about buying W8 because I don't want to encourage microsoft to continue this stance which I think is degrading desktop computing - can't see W8 in any work/productive based computer.

Alas you do make valid points but i think a good example of what they are going for is Windows Surface. Both a PC and a tablet.

Under the hood its a completely new OS. From the reviews I've read the only complaints are the bitching about the "Metro" interface. Its not that bad. Again you will learn some new keyboard shortcuts and then all of a sudden you will be "Omg its awesome" In desktop mode to access the Device Manager and similar you right click on a specific point. So yes there are big changes to the UI but I think its a step forward.

You say they "degrading desktop computing" The real only change is the changed the start menu.... its a GUI change is all I see (and a revamp of the Operating System).

A lot of the complaints in the vid you linked to are complaints merely because its different. Other reviews I've read (after the reviewer used W8 for a while) are actually very positive and there is emphasis on keyboard shortcuts over mouse. I certainly dont use my mouse in the start menu (ok on very rare occasions).

Again I predict this to be similar to the GUI changes in Vista... (not the actual OS the gui changes) overall i think it will be an improvement.

With their move into the Tablet market I am seriously thinking of getting the Microsoft Surface and if i enjoy my experience on that I may look towards the rumoured Microsoft Mobile Surface (couldnt remember the actual name).

Overall I think its a very good progression for Microsoft and I approve. I think any kinks/bugs will be sorted ( you have to hand it to microsoft they at least update regularily!) Also considering its the most tested OS they've released to date.....

Lets be honest While the keyboard and mouse will stay for another at least another generation its always been a fact that they would eventually die out. Resisting new technologies is futile!
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

Raging Goblin wrote:He raged at the world,
at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:26 pm «Top

PostRe: Windows 8 Debate by AngryCrocodile

My main point of contention with Windows 8 is the app store or rather the closed nature of its app store and the fact that the app store will be the only place where you can get applications that integrate with the metro ui. Other apps will run on the desktop side, for how ever long microsoft support it...

Can't be arsed to type, this article will sum up my fears:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1 ... _what_.php

Tl:dr microsoft's certification means almost all the games we play wouldn't be distributed by windows, hence valve starting to support linux
AngryCrocodile

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:51 pm «Top