A place to rant about windows 8 GUI

New Web Browsers

PostNew Web Browsers by RubberJonny

El Reg has posted an article displaying three potential alternatives to the almost exclusive choice for home users between Firefox and Chrome when it comes to browsing the web.

Microsoft's Project Spartan:
Project Spartan sees Microsoft stripping all the legacy code out of Trident, the rendering engine that powers Internet Explorer, so that Spartan contains only the modern, standards-compliant code. It's not an entirely new browser and it remains to be seen if Microsoft can shed the legacy code that dogs IE to this day. Project Spartan is designed specifically for Windows 10. More info.

Vivaldi:
Vivaldi is in many ways what Opera used to be before it became (more or less) a clone of Chrome. Vivaldi is the power user's browser in the same vein as Opera 12. It will include features like mouse gestures, keyboard shortcuts, tab stacking, note taking and email – not available yet, but coming.

There are also handy features like the ability to turn off images to speed up page load times over slow networks and a slew of advanced settings that allow you to control everything from the location of tabs to the key combos of most menu items.

Vivaldi's interface is not unattractive or cluttered, nor is it difficult to use. Most of its features are tucked away out of sight. To get the most out of Vivaldi you need to go digging. If the first thing you do when you install a new app is open up the preferences and see what you can customize then Vivaldi is the browser for you. Website.

Yandex:
Yandex's concept browser re-imagines the browser as something almost non-existent. So far it's little more than a concept video, but the idea seems to be primarily a conceptual leap: each website becomes more like a standalone application with its own interface than a page loaded into a browser window. Website.

There is clearly a bias towards Vivaldi in this article but that in part is because it is currently the most complete and useable/exists. I never really cared for Opera in the past but i am intrigued by the concept of Vivaldi and will be giving it a try as i'm tired of Firefox's bullshit and i have no interest in Chrome. Read the article and check the links for more information.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:28 pm «Top

PostRe: New Web Browsers by Tirielis

i though opera and firefox were pretty much clones of each other ... at least in looks ...

however will have to have a look at vivaldi

*edit: speaking to you from vivaldi, looks promising :)
Tirielis

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Earth
» Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:56 pm «Top