Everything from electric can openers to your latest gaming rig

Shanks's New Build

PostRe: need help by Shanks

yup i know or its not my week at all and it will all be balanced and i will win the lottery

one can only hope
Shanks

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:15 pm «Top

PostRe: need help by Dei

One thing I might add is, i wouldnt get an AMD processor as a temporary solution, I would say go for an i3 proc, will set you back around £90, and you get get a slighly better motherboard with a LGA1156 socket for the CPU so at a later date you could upgrade to an i5 or even an i7.

Thats just my two cents, good luck to you dude, and dont forget your thermal paste ^^
You need only two tools in life: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.
Dei

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Earth
» Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:28 pm «Top

PostRe: need help by RubberJonny

Dei wrote:One thing I might add is, i wouldnt get an AMD processor as a temporary solution, I would say go for an i3 proc, will set you back around £90, and you get get a slighly better motherboard with a LGA1156 socket for the CPU so at a later date you could upgrade to an i5 or even an i7.

I disagree. Firstly, AMD Phenom II X4 processors are around the same price and are better than the i3 processors. Secondly, any upgrade from a temporary set up will make it obsolete so he'd have no need for upgrade options on the temp'. Thirdly, if he were to choose to keep the temp' setup as a second build then the AMD Phenom II X4 965 would serve him well for many a year. Fourthly, that is a sweet MB for the price i linked (other than it not being Sandybridge it has better features than the Intel one i linked and is cheaper). Lastly, I can personally recommend AMD Phenom II CPUs and specifically the 965. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure th i3 has it's fans.

Side note on this: If you, Shanks, or anyone else for that matter is planning on building a second rig it's best to get MBs that are the same socket. Make them as interchangeable as possible so you can help keep your priority rig alive if anything goes wrong =)

Dei wrote:... dont forget your thermal paste

Don't! Don't eat it either. I heard it can kill you or atleast make you violently ill :o Wash your hands!

Peace!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:56 pm «Top

PostRe: need help by st3fan

Dei wrote:One thing I might add is, i wouldnt get an AMD processor as a temporary solution, I would say go for an i3 proc, will set you back around £90, and you get get a slighly better motherboard with a LGA1156 socket for the CPU so at a later date you could upgrade to an i5 or even an i7.

Thats just my two cents, good luck to you dude, and dont forget your thermal paste ^^

1155 and i5 2500 would be better as it is the latest standard....so it will last you longer.
st3fan

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:58 pm «Top

PostRe: need help by RubberJonny

st3fan wrote:

1155 and i5 2500 would be better as it is the latest standard....so it will last you longer.

His point is as a short term money saving option. £160 for i5 2500 isn't really a money saver =P

Peace!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:30 am «Top

PostRe: need help by Runner

whats the budget shanks?
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:05 am «Top

PostRe: need help by Shanks

as cheap as possible but so i dont have to update either :P (alot for nothing)

i would like to thank you all for you help and support to get this simple folk through this :P

next one is best graphics card for reaosnable price (after crimbo) ^_^
Shanks

National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:52 am «Top

PostRe: need help by Jasperman

Shanks wrote:as cheap as possible but so i dont have to update either :P (alot for nothing)

i would like to thank you all for you help and support to get this simple folk through this :P

next one is best graphics card for reaosnable price (after crimbo) ^_^

define reasonable!
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

Raging Goblin wrote:He raged at the world,
at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

National Flag:
Ireland
» Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:45 am «Top

PostRe: need help by Runner

Hold tight on the GPU frontier, the new range of Nvidia cards are on the horizon, i'd get one of thse around the £175 when they come out at or just after xmas, or get a discounted 560 or 570 when the 600's come out
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:48 pm «Top

PostRe: need help by Donkey

RubberJonny wrote:If you haven't updated your MB in a while you may also have to get DDR3 RAM
I'll assume you're on a budget but want something that'll last i recommend:
Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V LX - £80
CPU - Intel i5 2500K 3.3GHz - £170

Shanks, I upgraded my system this week, originally i got the 2500k and the asus P8Z68 V LX, and 8GB dual channel ddr3s.

Basically long story short: Memory channel B on the board wouldn't work, therefore only 2 of the memory slots on the board worked and which also meant i couldn't get dual channel. Googled it and there have been loads of issues with the P8Z68 running memory dual channel or using channel B, so I had to take it back to Scan as faulty and got the MSI equivilant:

MSI Z68A - G43 (G3)

Plugged in the memory dual channel and everything works perfectly, no problems with it, always had Asus boards before this, but this has put a bit of a downer on them for me, also good thing with the msi mobo is that it comes with PCI 3.0 for the extra fiver, where as asus pci 3.0 boards start from around £140

Only other problem was as i drove back to scan to return the mobo and get the msi one i fell to temptation and got a new gfx card as well :( msi 6850, and now I am broke and have spent way tooooo much money, but it runs BF3 v nice and hopefully should be set for a couple of years.

Also got an arctic cooling cpu fan/heatsink, gonna start overclocking the 2500k this weekend to see what i can get from it.

Tedd
Donkey

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:35 pm «Top