Page 1 of 2

MOBO & CPU Help

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:21 pm
by Roosell
So, in the latest move to make my terrible old rig not completely awful I now need to look at new Motherboard and CPU's

Here's what I'm currently running:

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3
CPU - AMD FX 4100 (Quad Core)
RAM - 16GB (Not sure what type right now)
GPU - ASUS NVDIA GTX 970

The CPUs I could upgrade to with my current MOBO are pretty naff - would be a £75 quick fix that would maybe last me a year - I'm looking for something that will last at least a few years.

Quite fancy moving to Intel chips - so if anyone has some suggestions on a good pair (I think socket 1150?) I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Ideally budget would be £200-300 if it could last me at least 3 years - I'd want the mobo to last as long as possible - am open to the idea of replacing the CPU later.

Re: MOBO & CPU Help

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:33 pm
by RampantBadger
N64

Re: MOBO & CPU Help

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:56 pm
by RubberJonny
Roosell wrote:Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3
Does your case support standard ATX motherboards?

Re: MOBO & CPU Help

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:04 pm
by Roosell
Yes it does.

Re: MOBO & CPU Help

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:23 pm
by RubberJonny
Roosell wrote:Ideally budget would be £200-300 if it could last me at least 3 years - I'd want the mobo to last as long as possible - am open to the idea of replacing the CPU later.
You could hold out for Intel's Skylake (later this year) but if that is not an option Haswell should last for another three years easy; especially if you pick up a top end i7 if/when they are more affordable. I thought i'd meet your budget in the middle for affordable performance.
CPU - Intel Core i5 4570 3.2GHz quad-core Haswell processor with solid performance for the price. - £150
MB - MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition No thrills, in expensive Z97 MB designed specifically for gaming. - £90

Peace!

Re: MOBO & CPU Help

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:17 am
by Roosell
RubberJonny wrote:
Roosell wrote:Ideally budget would be £200-300 if it could last me at least 3 years - I'd want the mobo to last as long as possible - am open to the idea of replacing the CPU later.
You could hold out for Intel's Skylake (later this year) but if that is not an option Haswell should last for another three years easy; especially if you pick up a top end i7 if/when they are more affordable. I thought i'd meet your budget in the middle for affordable performance.
CPU - Intel Core i5 4570 3.2GHz quad-core Haswell processor with solid performance for the price. - £150
MB - MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition No thrills, in expensive Z97 MB designed specifically for gaming. - £90

Peace!


Thanks man.

Any idea if the Skylake tech will have a totally new socket type, or will it be compatible with the 1150?

Re: MOBO & CPU Help

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:26 am
by RubberJonny
Roosell wrote:Any idea if the Skylake tech will have a totally new socket type, or will it be compatible with the 1150?
Skylake will be incompatible with Haswell LGA 1150 - Source.

Re: MOBO & CPU Help

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:44 pm
by Roosell
RubberJonny wrote:
Roosell wrote:Any idea if the Skylake tech will have a totally new socket type, or will it be compatible with the 1150?
Skylake will be incompatible with Haswell LGA 1150 - Source.


Boooo. Not sure I can wait another 4 months for an upgrade, will have to see how patient I am feeling - mainly if GTA will start running properly!

Re: MOBO & CPU Help

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:00 pm
by Roosell
oooh look at that, I was good and patient and Skylake has come out. Hooray!

Does anything know anything about new Skylake stuff? I know there's really only 2 chips, but I'm a bit lost when it comes to motherboard choices.

Also will I need to get new DDR4 RAM? I am open to upgrading the RAM.

Re: MOBO & CPU Help

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:35 pm
by RampantBadger
RampantBadger wrote:N64