Everything from electric can openers to your latest gaming rig

Gweggles' New Build

PostGweggles' New Build by Gweggles

So here it is. After being out of the game for a while. Cough cough. It's time to make some sort of come back, but my machine is dragging me down when it comes to BF3. So it's about time for an upgrade.

The new specs:

Motherboard: MSI 1155 Intel P67 GD53
CPU: i5-3570K
Memory: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Vengeance
GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 570
PSU: PURE POWER CM L8-CM 730W

The plan is to rebuild using my current Coolermaster Elite 330 case (because it's epic) and keep the HDD then buy a small SSD for the OS and games.
I'm spending a little more on the PSU and Motherboard than what's required so I've got the option to SLI later.

If anyone has any thoughts on the build then let me know! Thanks x
Last edited by Gweggles on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gweggles

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:19 pm «Top

PostRe: Gweggles' New Build by Renegade

Get a 670 if you can, peformance wise its slighly less powerful then a 590 which is basically two 580 chips.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-670-review/1

Go with a 128GB SSD they are only a tiny bit more expensive then the 64GB ones at the moment and you'll welcome the extra space
Renegade

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:21 pm «Top

PostRe: Gweggles' New Build by Gweggles

Unfortunately I don't have cash for that GPU. Would be lovely though. Will look into the SSD.
Gweggles

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:40 am «Top

PostRe: Gweggles' New Build by Runner

I really don't know when they are set for release but I would buy a 660 given the opertunity, the 560ti I bought was £142 and easily the best £ to performance ratio I've ever got in a computer component.
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 am «Top

PostRe: Gweggles' New Build by RubberJonny

If you wanna play BF3 the GPU is a priority. I'd personally say hold off on the SSD for a while and put that money into getting the GTX 670 as Renegade suggested. SSDs are over rated in my opinion and are rapidly coming down in price so you should be able to pick one up in a few months for at least a little less, if not much less, than you'd pay now. Also 8GB of RAM for gaming is still over kill (although for some reason considered the minimum requirement by most PC gamers) if you actually look at most game requirements few recommend more than 4GB.

Exhibit A:
Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3

• Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950
  • Graphics card memory: 1 GB
  • Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card
  • Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

I'm a budget build type of guy so i can be biased. I like to save wherever i can and RAM and Storage are easy ones to replace/add to later. PSUs are a tricky one because Wattage above 500 doesn't really matter too much (unless you are Crossfiring/SLIing) but the prices are inconsistent. I have an 850W PSU not becuae i need it but becuase the price was right (comparatively). My only advice on a PSU is get a good brand name with all the power cables you need at a good price. Look for ones in sales.
I will say though, 73W seems a little under powered ;)
Gweggles wrote:PSU: PURE POWER CM L8-CM 73W

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:03 am «Top