Everything from electric can openers to your latest gaming rig

Another one bites the dust

PostAnother one bites the dust by Chef

it has been announced that Hitachi's hard drive arm has finally been sold to Western Digital, with the sale of Samsung's HDD arm to Seagate has also been confirmed, HDD

so thats it, for a mechanical 3.5" drive you now only have two choices

Seagate

or

Western Digital.

It is also interesting to note that neither of these companies are investing in Solid State Drives. I think that says it all from my perspective. My feeling is they will be waiting for a viable SSD solution, then buy that company out.

Chef
Chef
Dungeon Master

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:50 am «Top

PostRe: Another one bites the dust by Jasperman

Chef wrote:it has been announced that Hitachi's hard drive arm has finally been sold to Western Digital, with the sale of Samsung's HDD arm to Seagate has also been confirmed, HDD

so thats it, for a mechanical 3.5" drive you now only have two choices

Seagate

or

Western Digital.

It is also interesting to note that neither of these companies are investing in Solid State Drives. I think that says it all from my perspective. My feeling is they will be waiting for a viable SSD solution, then buy that company out.

Chef

This saddens me (the SSD part that is). But i do admit im a bit of a WD fan usually only buy their HDDs.

Who knows this might spur the big boys to start into the SSD territory, although they may leave it as you said to the small companies to bankrupt themselves and be bought out
Signed
Jasperman

TBC Facebook Page
TBC Steam Group
Join DropBox

Raging Goblin wrote:He raged at the world,
at his family,
at his life.
But mostly he just raged
Jasperman
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Ireland
» Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:25 pm «Top

PostRe: Another one bites the dust by Runner

im a samsung f3 onwer so yer bit sad but i hope it drives competition for the ssd's to improve
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:16 pm «Top

PostRe: Another one bites the dust by RubberJonny

Seagate just shattered the record for storage density on hard drives by using a novel recording method to stuff 1 terabit into a square inch. That's nearly twice the old record.
Full article here.

Peace!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:26 pm «Top

PostRe: Another one bites the dust by Chef

ssd's are currently only valuable in several key areas, namely mobile devices.

but they struggle for capacity, and suffer with block issues. i think to be honest the SSD in its current form is a development col de sac.
Chef
Dungeon Master

National Flag:
Pirate Island
» Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:48 am «Top