Everything from electric can openers to your latest gaming rig

MOBO & CPU Help

PostRe: MOBO & CPU Help by RubberJonny

Roosell wrote:Also will I need to get new DDR4 RAM? I am open to upgrading the RAM.
For gaming there is really no need at all but if you are still looking for a long lasting motherboard then it could be worth making the move.
Roosell wrote:Does anything know anything about new Skylake stuff? I know there's really only 2 chips, but I'm a bit lost when it comes to motherboard choices.
When it comes to Intel motherboard chipsets the Zxxx offers the best features and performance. The higher the number the better/more it has.
Roosell wrote:Ideally budget would be £200-300 if it could last me at least 3 years - I'd want the mobo to last as long as possible - am open to the idea of replacing the CPU later.
If you are willing to stretch your budget to get DDR4 then i recommend:
  • MSI Z170A KRAIT -
    It has some great features and supports SLI. Also it is very pretty. - £120

To be honest the KRAIT isn't as unique as its predecessor with there being quite a few Z170 motherboards with support for SLI in the same price range so it would be worth looking in to its rivals to see if they have features that better suit your needs.

The i5 6500 fits in to the budget as well as offering good performance and it is not so expensive that it would feel like a waste of money to replace in the future. An other reason for this choice is that Intel no longer provide stock heat sinks for their K model (overclockable) CPUs thus increasing the cost too far beyond the original budget if you do not already have a compatible after market cooler.

Hope this helps.

Peace Out!
Jonny!
Man Will Never Be Free Until The Last King Is Strangled With The Entrails Of The Last Priest
RubberJonny

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User Details: Show details
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:26 am «Top

PostRe: MOBO & CPU Help by Roosell

I've already got an aftermarket cooler so that extra price isn't a problem

Thanks for your suggestions, will have an in-depth look soon and splash some cash that I totally don't have on upgrades. Woo!
RIP Cuervo
Roosell

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
National Flag:
Canada
» Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:49 am «Top

PostRe: MOBO & CPU Help by RampantBadger

No problem bro.

I really can't recommend the N64 enough.
RampantBadger

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
National Flag:
Canada
» Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:38 am «Top

RampantBadger wrote:No problem bro.

I really can't recommend the N64 enough.

Can you recommend any games involving Helicopter Pilots to play on it? Literally been my dream for years.
RIP Cuervo
Roosell

National Flag:
Canada
» Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:58 am «Top

PostRe: MOBO & CPU Help by Runner

If you want the motherboard to last definitely get the the latest - ie DDR4 skylake.

I'm an asus man and am looking to buy this - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=3078

Personally just holding off as my computer is working fine pre VR and I'm hoping for a seasonal sale, and who knows in the meantime another chipset but I doubt that.

I guess if you want to save monies you could i3 and then i7 in a few years - personally never used an i3 so I don't know. The prospect of buying an £200 i5 (instead of a £280 i7) with the eye to a future upgrade to me seems silly because I can't see that i7 dropping more than £75 in 3 years (but I dunno) and thus overall the cost is quite high (i'm not sure the i7 upgrade would be financially worth while from he i5 - depends on how low the cost goes)

The main thing to consider is are you going to overclock - the K versions of the processor's are the only cpus that you can overclock and cost £30-40 more.

Again with the RAM I don't know the cost efficency of what frequency to buy in at. My approach has been to buy a two stick pairing at the beginning of the PC's life and then buy that same set 3-4 years later to double it. So by that reasoning buy in know at the frequency you want (ie price point - bigger numbers better) and then choose it to be an 8gb pair or 16gb pai (again price point)

Intel is more expensive than AMD but from my experience worth it - my sandy bridge cpu and mobo is 6 years old next month and for gaming is currently (pre VR) absolutely fine.

hope the above waffle helps - £300 price point is going to be tough with skylake imo
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:11 am «Top

also the cpu heatsink holes in 1511 are the same spec as previous although its not particularly well advertised and a lot of the heatsinks don't mention 1511 because outdated pages/specs

Having said that no idea if your AMD heatsink would fit the intel boards - would need a google

That mobo I linked comes with a free £60 heatsink though which seems pretty sweet
Signed Runner

RampantBadger wrote:bono is on full turbo fisting mode right now. Have had to sack off work and am lying in bed watching police squad 5 minutes at a time, then having to take a 10 minute break before I gavomit.
Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:14 am «Top

Runner wrote:also the cpu heatsink holes in 1511 are the same spec as previous although its not particularly well advertised and a lot of the heatsinks don't mention 1511 because outdated pages/specs

Having said that no idea if your AMD heatsink would fit the intel boards - would need a google

That mobo I linked comes with a free £60 heatsink though which seems pretty sweet

My heatsink fits both AMD and Intel, and the upgrade in chipset shouldnt affect it from what I can see.

Will probably have to drop closer to £500/600 on this little lot. Considering I can barley afford the pub at the moment I might have to play on low until Christmas :(
RIP Cuervo
Roosell

National Flag:
Canada
» Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:20 am «Top

Roosell wrote:
Runner wrote:also the cpu heatsink holes in 1511 are the same spec as previous although its not particularly well advertised and a lot of the heatsinks don't mention 1511 because outdated pages/specs

My heatsink fits both AMD and Intel, and the upgrade in chipset shouldnt affect it from what I can see.

Will probably have to drop closer to £500/600 on this little lot. Considering I can barley afford the pub at the moment I might have to play on low until Christmas :(

Yer I recon there is going to be a sale at some point like January just hold out for that shiz-niz
Signed Runner

Runner
Founder

National Flag:
Great Britain
» Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:00 am «Top

I did a stupid

So I've bought the MOBO that Runner suggested, and went for the i5-6600 as it was about £30 more expensive than the 6500.

But I didn't realise that you literally can't use DDR3 RAM in this motherboard, as it's DDR4.

Back to the shops I go!
RIP Cuervo
Roosell

National Flag:
Canada
» Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:52 pm «Top

PostRe: MOBO & CPU Help by RampantBadger

Roosell wrote:I did a stupid

So I've bought the MOBO that Runner suggested, and went for the i5-6600 as it was about £30 more expensive than the 6500.

But I didn't realise that you literally can't use DDR3 RAM in this motherboard, as it's DDR4.

Back to the shops I go!

You would not have had these problems with an N64...
RampantBadger

National Flag:
Canada
» Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:49 pm «Top